Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ported Numbers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ported Numbers

Old 16-07-2008, 00:02   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Ported Numbers

Just wandering if anyone knows what rate Ported numbers are charged at.

Would it be the same rate as You would be charged for calling the Operator the Account is Now with or would it be the Rate for calling the Original operator or some other totally different rate all together?

could make quite a big difference to the cost of a call espcially if calling from a mobile outside of any inclusive allowances as it's often a different rate to other networks than it is to call someone on the same network.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2008, 08:56   #2
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy
Re: Ported Numbers

I was not too sure about that myself but I found this link if it's any help http://www.intelicoms.co.uk/download...ostofcalls.pdf
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 09:06   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteTheMusicGuy View Post
I was not too sure about that myself but I found this link if it's any help http://www.intelicoms.co.uk/download...ostofcalls.pdf
Yes that answers it nicely

Basically

If your calling from a Mobile, the network should be smart enough to recognise the other Phone is or isn't on the same network regardless if the number was ported or not.

If your calling another network it goes to the original network who then forward the call, Calling From a mobile this doesn't make much difference since it's usually one Rate for cross network calls no matter which other network you call.

Calling from a Landline however you will be charged the rate for calling the Network that Orignally owned the number NOT the new network.
Old 16-07-2008, 14:36   #4
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I never realised that -- what a ridiculous procedure!

Thanks for posting guys.
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 20:16   #5
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
Well, I never realised that -- what a ridiculous procedure!

Thanks for posting guys.
It is but I can sort of understand why, If they updated the routing for each individual number based on what network it's moved to I suspect the routing tables would get stupidly complex and I'm not sure if the switches would handle it to well.

Far easier to route a block of numbers to one place then deal with it from there i guess.