Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Now 10mb Which DU Meter Settings?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Now 10mb Which DU Meter Settings?

Old 11-07-2008, 06:22   #1
DJ_Price
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 10mb BB, DigiFusion 80GB Freeview PVR
DJ_Price is an unknown quantity at this point
Now 10mb Which DU Meter Settings?

I've now been upgraded to 10mb & I also have been using DU Meter recently because of the TM. Does anyone have decent settings to put into DUM that will work well with the TM settings? I currently have DUM to startup at 4pm & close & 9pm, with the current setup: (Short period) Alert me when more than 620mb is sent/received in the last 5 hours. (Long period) Alert me when incoming/outgoing traffic exceeds 40GB during the current month. I'd like to have it setup better so I don't cause problems & end up getting restricted for 5 hours.
DJ_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2008, 07:28   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Now 10mb Which DU Meter Settings?

Why should you limit yourself though when you pay the same as everybody else?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:56   #3
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Why should you limit yourself though when you pay the same as everybody else?
Angry@VMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:37   #4
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Price View Post
I've now been upgraded to 10mb & I also have been using DU Meter recently because of the TM. Does anyone have decent settings to put into DUM that will work well with the TM settings? I currently have DUM to startup at 4pm & close & 9pm, with the current setup: (Short period) Alert me when more than 620mb is sent/received in the last 5 hours. (Long period) Alert me when incoming/outgoing traffic exceeds 40GB during the current month. I'd like to have it setup better so I don't cause problems & end up getting restricted for 5 hours.
Remove that pile of c*** now.

P.S -- I'll be ya friend if ya do?
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:27   #5
broadbandbug
Inactive

broadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Just use the internet as you want.. If you get managed then so be it.. If everyone did this then the % captured would rise and VM would have to increase the volume thresholds to bring it back into the 5% target that they publish.
broadbandbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:12   #6
Martyn
Inactive

Services: Sky TV 2TB HD - Fiber Pro
Martyn is an unknown quantity at this point

its crap system they got... my net went slow from 3-6 last night, and again from 9am this morning, and its still crap... i have no idea what they are doing, and im not even in to download anything... i try download 1 game this month, and im unable to because it starts at full speeds, then goes at slower speeds, some how causes the download to be currupt. sucks.
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 15:27   #7
DJ_Price
Inactive

Thanks for everyone replying & kinda missing the reason i made this post, but I'd rather be able to have the full 10mb when needed, than be TM'd & then only have 2mb or whatever i'd be dropped down to. I'm a speed demon, some people like to go fast in there cars, I like to go fast on the internet. I've never had my internet speed reduced in all the 10 years of being on the internet, just always gone for higher speed packages.
Old 11-07-2008, 19:59   #8
duffman
Inactive

duffman is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see your point but at the end of the day if you get capped then 2.5meg is good enough for internet browsing (as long as you are not still downloading).
duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 22:14   #9
DJ_Price
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman View Post
I can see your point but at the end of the day if you get capped then 2.5meg is good enough for internet browsing (as long as you are not still downloading).
But going from 10mb down to 2.5mb would be like going from a ferrari to s renault clio or 2mb connection to 56k. I guess no one actually uses du meter here then. I guess I will just have to work out some decent enough settings for myself. Also sure if I was restricted to 2.5mb all the time, then it would be pointless me paying full price to use 10mb. Damn TM!!
Old 11-07-2008, 22:30   #10
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
But going from 10mb down to 2.5mb would be like going from a ferrari to s renault clio or 2mb connection to 56k. I guess no one actually uses du meter here then. I guess I will just have to work out some decent enough settings for myself. Also sure if I was restricted to 2.5mb all the time, then it would be pointless me paying full price to use 10mb. Damn TM!!
I would not touch the DU Meter with that well known dirty ended stick
Old 11-07-2008, 22:54   #11
DJ_Price
Inactive

Well du meter doesn't look like it would be needed anyway, because since the upgrade was received yesterday evening my modem has been rebooting all the time. Was happening before & have made a few posts on here about the problems & also phoned up VM & made posts on the newsgroups, but no one seems to take it seriously & says there is nothing wrong & no reboots are logged, even though I have made a video recording & added it to two of my posts on the forum here. Ambit 120 Home modem!
Old 12-07-2008, 20:09   #12
Martyn
Inactive

Services: Sky TV 2TB HD - Fiber Pro
Martyn is an unknown quantity at this point

i just been upgraded to 20mb, got better speeds on 10mb lol
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 20:53   #13
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
I would not touch the DU Meter with that well known dirty ended stick
I'm curious - why?

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 10:33   #14
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed2020 View Post
I'm curious - why?

Ed.
Because I do not feel the need to Pay for a program that will tell me when I am reaching my Download limit, I am not paranoid enough to feel that its required to prevent me being Traffic Managed by Virgin.

If I download then I download without wondering will it suddenly slow.
Old 13-07-2008, 12:40   #15
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all

Okay, seems like good logic to me!

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote