Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | You're all 20Mb pirates

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

You're all 20Mb pirates

Old 09-07-2008, 13:19   #1
Visitor
Inactive

Services: Broadband
Visitor is on a distinguished roadVisitor is on a distinguished road
You're all 20Mb pirates

I got into an interesting conversation today, while talking to a VM operator, Hi XXXX

Well we were discussing broadband speeds, and browsing speeds, what I may need in the future, the new 50Mb BB and eventually started talking about what I download.

The person assumed I was downloading a hell of a lot, because I have 20Mb broadband, else I wouldn’t need it. If I'm downloading a hell of a lot, then it must be a lot of illegal movies I'm downloading

Well you know, I didn’t take offence, after all he was friendly, and was putting forward some good points. I argued that programs like P2P software was never developed for illegal use, but his argument was I wouldn’t use P2P to download an iTune, or a home movie made by my uncle

So remember now, the fact that you have 20Mb broadband, means your downloading illegal movies. Don’t flame me, I didn’t say it, VM said it

However the point of this post, isn’t about that, I was wondering exactly what services are out there, where you can pay per view (Download) or a monthly fee. I know there are plenty for music, but what's available for movies.

So I sign up for a monthly deal with a company, or visit the BBC to watch TV, but still restricted on how much I can download but there again I don’t suppose you would want to download much from the BBC ?

So what's out there, what can you subscribe to? Are there any companies offering new movies to download? Are there any cinema deals, I know Orange give their customers a BOGOF for tickets to the Odeon etc..

What else is there ?

Remember now, if you have 20Mb broadband, you are illegaly downloading movies, and its got to stop now, because within a short time (next few years) perhaps less, your going to prison, even if you watch 6Gb of trailers

P.S Does Kazaa still work

PPS the only reason I have 20Mb is because I got a free upgrade, makes you wonder what they want you to do with 20Mb ?
Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2008, 13:26   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Your all 20Mb pirates

KaZaA still works. Seen people using it, won't go into details.

Anywho, Good luck all you illegal donwloaders.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 13:28   #3
Nicosia
Inactive

Nicosia is an unknown quantity at this point

you can watch and download tv episodes from bbc which is good brut they only let you eep it for 30 days but whats good about it what i like about it is that u dont have to sit through adverts when watching shows like top gea
Nicosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 14:11   #4
smeagoly1
Inactive

Services: Bugger all now apart from 8meg ADSL and only 2 meg at best!!!! I want my 20meg cable back!
smeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nice

There had been a few sci-fi fan sites that streamed a lot of stuff, that would never have gone to dvd on be played on tv. Run and researched by fans. One or two freebie views, but a pay monthly subscription for most. Non savable I may add. Pay your subscription and view. A fast connection was a must tbh.

I do belive the beeb may have also finished or near finishing their online archives.

Star Wars Revelation another fan made movie, large download and legal. The net has fan based sites on most things, getting more and more technical as the weeks go by.
Would not be surprised if there were, fan made series being aired online. All this would need people with decents speeds to enjoy, but current capping would prevent UK users a great deal.
smeagoly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 14:13   #5
kryogenik

Lovefilm is the only service I use I can think of that falls into this category you mention. You can download movies from them.
http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/
Old 09-07-2008, 16:21   #6
peteh
Inactive

Services: XXL / 120 MB BB XL TV/Phone 1GB Tivo + VHD box
peteh is an unknown quantity at this point

20mb does not equate to 20mb for everybody that has it

Our household has always used the largest available package, that is however because the connection is shared and 2 of us are avid gamers, the 3rd just uses it for 2 hours in the evening to browse ebay and read/research on the web

Between us we've never once hit any of the usage caps, as far as i know never had any warnings about usage and such, and we tend to only get large downloads done during the night as its generally faster anyway

Admitidly back in the blueyonder days we downloaded a fair amount (though it goes without saying, legal content, rather than the latter people mention)

Most of the downloading now is just game patches and such.... can't really be helped if you consider new titles like AoC just to install off the DVD use 30gb space, you can only guess what the patching systems like :P

Anyway, generalizing is bad not everybody with a big connection is a download pirate

p.s. the "trailer" comment is comedy considering virgin media itself is always hosting movie trailers on its own website

p.p.s its also worth bearing in mind recent popular game titles are actually using p2p systems for patch distribution now
peteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 17:09   #7
one2escape
Inactive

one2escape is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: You're all 20Mb pirates

What about metaboli where you can full download games legally. I am using that with my 20mb connection also. I want to download the trial for LOTR online which is like 8gb. What Virgin need to release is most things will be available now to download as well buy now. You down load a movie on the Xbox or PS network when that kicks off how many gig are they. They are trying to throttle legit users now who are using it for legal things. Since I started Metabloi I have hit the cap a couple of times now. Its getting real annoying now so I am leaving!
one2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 17:55   #8
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve

Also, I if I remember rightly, DivX's websites do movies that you can pay for, and then download (and you can keep them too) I used to have a LiteOn PVR with a special DivX code that you registered with the website and for a fee per film, you could download, burn & copy to the PVR's hard drive to watch, this is the only thing I used to download movies.
Angry@VMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 18:22   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

You can also buy and watch Tv programmes on I-Tunes.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 18:36   #10
Visitor
Inactive

Services: Broadband
Visitor is on a distinguished roadVisitor is on a distinguished road

Great

Looked at http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/ I see they have "rent from" and "buy from", if you select buy from, do you get a DVD or still download it, but can watch/transfer/make DVD out of it, while the rent from, just times out I guess.

Im now finding Im not watching trailers now Wasnt that long ago they blamed mobile phones for the loss of movie money (People were sending SMS to warn friends the movie was crap)

So whats the BBC doing, are they free just go and watch online, or download and watch later? And what about Napster that VM promotes

Are there only music downloads available, wouldnt think so, or are all the movies just ones you can buy from poundland ?

Just a quick one on DVD's http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/ if you didnt know, you can register with them, add a DVD to the watch list, and the price you want to pay.

When someone out there is selling the DVD at your price you get an email

I got the 3 of Clints spaghetti western's for £3.50 each (some double disk) They do games too, got some cheap Wi Games for £10 too.

What I do hate is all the price fixing on new DVD's

I do know if we cant watch trailers, there will be much less DVD's sold. Ive never heard of half of the new movies, and never will buy them, after all you might like the movie, but that dont mean I will.

There was a DivX DVD player, you rented the files, and the player just stopped playing it didnt catch on "Circuit City" wasnt it.. Shame it may have been good.

It would be a lot better downloading legal Divx files, then just hacking them kidding

I have 3 PC's a Wi and several mobile phones connected to the WI FI, all this shouting and VM dont even provide a means of seeing our download size, even the one VM say to use is no good for all those devices.

Anyway, apart from old movies, old TV is there nothing new out there ?

one2escape, dont go, we will miss you ! and where ever you go, it will be worse !
Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 18:43   #11
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Some game demos are over 1gb these days, and with products like Steam, it's not unusual these days for ppl to dl whole games legitimately. Or it's possible to l a 1gb demo, play it, hate, so dl another one, hate that etc.

I downloaded openSUSE 11 the other day, to upgrade from openSUSE 10.3, that's about 4gb. A while ago I went through a phase of Linux distro hopping, so was downloading different isos on a regular basis, some CDs some DVDs.

Some ppl like to get involved with the home dev side of things, so could dl nightly builds of an OS, or various software packages.

As mentioned earlier there's loads of Star Wars fan films, Troops as another popular example, http://www.theforce.net/ has loads to keep you entertained. I would guess shows like Star Trek etc have lots of fan films to.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 22:31   #12
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough

I wonder what they will call people who will swap to 50meg then?
I also wonder what limits will be imposed on that sooner or later, obviously not immediately, a bit like trying to sell a new car with no engine otherwise.
Rone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 23:10   #13
BloodyL
Inactive

Services: 50Mb
BloodyL will become famous soon enoughBloodyL will become famous soon enoughBloodyL will become famous soon enough

Steam, Xbox Live, BBC iPlayer, game demos, all of these things soon add up to many gigabytes of legal 20mb usage.
BloodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 23:55   #14
kryogenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor View Post
Great

Looked at http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/ I see they have "rent from" and "buy from", if you select buy from, do you get a DVD or still download it, but can watch/transfer/make DVD out of it, while the rent from, just times out I guess.
The DVDs that have a 'buy' option come with a download and they send you the disc in the post too.
The rent' one does expire, yes.

More HERE
Old 10-07-2008, 20:34   #15
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

There are legal torrent sites & freeware sites not to mention linux distros.
There is also a linux torrent site too, just goes to prove you can download stacks perfectly legally. Most commercial software got a freeware example of it available, more often than not a better example too. Only goes to prove you don't have to be a pirate to download loads.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote