Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TCP Optimiser - how good is it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TCP Optimiser - how good is it?

Old 20-05-2008, 08:34   #1
lightwind
Inactive

Services: 10Mb cable; XL TV.
lightwind is an unknown quantity at this point
TCP Optimiser - how good is it?

I've been reading some of the posts here about TCP Optimizer. I'd really like to give this a try, but as I don't want to cock up my system, which I've managed to do quite easily before , I'd like to know is it really safe and easy to use? Does it really make a noticeable difference?

The last thing I want to do is create a problem by changing things I don't understand. At the moment my system is running OK, but I don't actually know enough about the tech side to say whether it is properly optimised for broadband.

I'm on VM 4Mb cable.
lightwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2008, 09:20   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: TCP Optimiser - how good is it?

IIRC it has a facility to enable you to return things as they were.

It also has an auto mode.

It made no difference for me but others have said they have benefitted from using it. I suppose it just depends on how far your system is mis-configured?

It's as safe to use as anything else is on a PC.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 10:35   #3
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

It does have an option to reset back to windows defaults too, which is handy if when you change something it gets worse than it was.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 10:50   #4
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

TCP Optimiser is actually on the Virginmedia website click on this link and read about it.

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...anced_optimise

Then the link to the Speedguide site

www.speedguide.net.

Or the link direct to the Optimiser.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
Old 20-05-2008, 12:16   #5
lightwind
Inactive

Great stuff! Thanks for your help, I'll give it a whirl.
Old 20-05-2008, 16:11   #6
xspeedyx

Never made a difference for me apart from I can set my MTU to 1500 which it should be instead of the default that they use for dial up
Old 20-05-2008, 18:06   #7
DerekRothwell
Inactive

Services: Sky BB at almost dial-up speeds Crap TV (no iplayers) Average phone (unlimited) and all this for
DerekRothwell is on a distinguished roadDerekRothwell is on a distinguished road

It's no use if you have Vista.
DerekRothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 00:45   #8
hokkers999
cf.addict

hokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightwind View Post
I've been reading some of the posts here about TCP Optimizer. I'd really like to give this a try, but as I don't want to cock up my system, which I've managed to do quite easily before , I'd like to know is it really safe and easy to use? Does it really make a noticeable difference?

The last thing I want to do is create a problem by changing things I don't understand. At the moment my system is running OK, but I don't actually know enough about the tech side to say whether it is properly optimised for broadband.

I'm on VM 4Mb cable.
VM 4meg, 2 neg, 500meg or whatever it makes not the slightest difference. Just leave it alone. Hundreds of engineers at IEEE have spent years on this in conjunction with low level hardware engineers.

Don't mess with it.
hokkers999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 09:47   #9
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokkers999 View Post
VM 4meg, 2 neg, 500meg or whatever it makes not the slightest difference. Just leave it alone. Hundreds of engineers at IEEE have spent years on this in conjunction with low level hardware engineers.

Don't mess with it.

If it works try it, and it is fully reversible if you do not like what it does.
Old 27-05-2008, 09:57   #10
lightwind
Inactive

Well, I've run TCP Optimizer and the main thing which changed was the MTU, which I increased to 1500 from the previous value of 1400 and something. I'm running Win XP Home SP3, and I think there may be a slight improvement and consistency in my speeds since running TCP.

Still, that might be complete b****cks as well, and it's just me "wanting" to see an improvement, but at least it's not messed anything up, so I'm pleased I've given it a whirl.

Thank for all your help.