Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone else BB not working in BN14 area?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Anyone else BB not working in BN14 area?

Old 19-05-2008, 11:54   #1
ianmacd
Inactive

ianmacd is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone else BB not working in BN14 area?

My 20Meg service seems to have dropped out at 7:23 this morning. There have been a large number of dropouts over the last 4 weeks (some short and some not so short). Called VM but they just arranged an engineer and said nothing was broken at their end. They didn't even get me to go through the usual things that we all do before calling them anyway.

My CM sync light is just flashing its heart out and if I stick a laptop on it then it give the laptop a 90 second lease with a 192.168.100.x address. I even tried my old CM and that won't sync either.

Anyone else having issues in this area?

Ian.
ianmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2008, 14:01   #2
ianmacd
Inactive

Re: Anyone else BB not working in BN14 area?

Looks to have been fixed at 13:57. Bet they will never tell me what was wrong.
Old 19-05-2008, 15:47   #3
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacd View Post
My 20Meg service seems to have dropped out at 7:23 this morning. There have been a large number of dropouts over the last 4 weeks (some short and some not so short). Called VM but they just arranged an engineer and said nothing was broken at their end. They didn't even get me to go through the usual things that we all do before calling them anyway.

My CM sync light is just flashing its heart out and if I stick a laptop on it then it give the laptop a 90 second lease with a 192.168.100.x address. I even tried my old CM and that won't sync either.

Anyone else having issues in this area?

Ian.
Your old cable modem will not work as it is no longer registered on the network with Virgin, the only use you have for it now is as a Paperweight.
Old 19-05-2008, 15:54   #4
ianmacd
Inactive

True but it should still sync even if it can not download the fw for that device. I would also suspect that it still works too as I very much doubt the MAC was removed from the dhcp servers.

I may try it later now its working again.
Old 19-05-2008, 18:25   #5
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
True but it should still sync even if it can not download the fw for that device. I would also suspect that it still works too as I very much doubt the MAC was removed from the dhcp servers.

I may try it later now its working again.
When they swap your old modem they delete the old one from the servers.
Old 19-05-2008, 22:28   #6
ianmacd
Inactive

They didn't swap it. They shipped me a new one that sat in a box for a few months.

Come to think of it too, when my GF moved 3 years ago the eng came out and botched the install and the new SACM wouldn't register so I plugged in the one from her old house that the eng couldn't be bothered to take and that is still working fine 3 years later. This did work because she moved within the same CAM so I think she even got the same IP as before.

Unless they get one back, it will not be removed from the DHCP svr.
Old 19-05-2008, 22:41   #7
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

I'm in bn1 and its been ok here today, but in the last few weeks we have had two shutdowns, each for a couple of hours.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 23:01   #8
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
They didn't swap it. They shipped me a new one that sat in a box for a few months.

Come to think of it too, when my GF moved 3 years ago the eng came out and botched the install and the new SACM wouldn't register so I plugged in the one from her old house that the eng couldn't be bothered to take and that is still working fine 3 years later. This did work because she moved within the same CAM so I think she even got the same IP as before.

Unless they get one back, it will not be removed from the DHCP svr.
Every account has your equipment listed that is operational, when a new piece of equipment is added they remove the one that is being replaced from your account.

And with the migration of NTL accounts at the beginning of the month it would be highly unlikely that your other old modem will exist on the network.

You can try to use it but will be disappointed as it is now just a paperweight.