Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is a butt connector?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What is a butt connector?

Old 07-05-2008, 16:23   #1
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
What is a butt connector?

And what does it do?

I'm asking because I'm looking at under cabinet lighting for my kitchen and there is mention of these.Hubby is an electrician(navy trained) but(groan) doesn't know what they are(even with a picture).

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...onnectors.html

Can anyone help?
Old 07-05-2008, 16:26   #2
The Hitman
Inactive

The Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful one
Re: What is a butt connector?

Iv'e heard of a plug. Butt not a connector
The Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 16:33   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I don't know myself, but after a little google, I found this site ( http://www.radioshack.com/sm-crimp-o...i-2151268.html ) and came to the conclusion they were rubber/plastic insulating sheaths.

Basically, I mean those sheaths were you put the sheath on one of the wires, splice another wire to it, and heat the sheath to shrink it so it seals around the wires, and insulates them.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

According to http://www.tpub.com/content/heaters/...77-13P_431.htm I may be only half right.

You crimp the connector to seal it, not heat.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 16:39   #4
keithwalton
Inactive

keithwalton has reached the bronze age
keithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze age

Since its under the crimp connectors section of there website and from what it looks like i'd of said its for joining two wires together.

It'll work much like a cheese block but instead of using a screw to hold each wire in place you'll crimp (deform a piece of metal) to hold them in place. With the sheath forming an outer protective layer.
keithwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 16:39   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Thank you very much for the info Stuart.That last link with the diagram really helped him to see what they are used for.

A greenie for you.
Old 07-05-2008, 16:44   #6
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
And what does it do?

I'm asking because I'm looking at under cabinet lighting for my kitchen and there is mention of these.Hubby is an electrician(navy trained) but(groan) doesn't know what they are(even with a picture).

Can anyone help?
If your looking at under cabinet lighting I don't know why they mention these They are basically an insulated feral, more often than not used inside certain panels / looms of wires etc. The 'norm' for under cabinet lights is something similar to a kettle ( IEC ) led with solid or wired connections of a similar nature between them.

HTH
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:27   #7
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

There's a selection of 'butt splices' here:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...tt+splice&Ntx=

I can post you some yellow ones butt they are huuuge.

Note that you'll need an appropriate crimp tool to use these. If you don't have one then I'd suggest using a simple terminal strip instead - they can be cut down to any size.

altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:49   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

They are crimp connectors, more often used in motor veicles to solidly join two wires, as opposed to bullets (male and female) which can be separated.

NOT recommended for mains wiring, but OK for 12v systems.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:58   #9
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post

NOT recommended for mains wiring, but OK for 12v systems.
Why do you say NOT recommended for main use when that's one use for them, they ( I say they ) and their crimping cousins are made for panel terminations, motor terms etc etc I've used them on 525V 3 phase motors pulling daft amps, so they definitely are made for this use. But again, I wouldn't know why Incog has been told to use these, also wouldn't use choc blocks, get they right gear for the job
Old 08-05-2008, 00:43   #10
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Hubby is an electrician(navy trained) but(groan) doesn't know what they are(even with a picture)
Shame you don't live on a boat.

I was thinking it may be a euphamism for a penis, in the context of homosexual-male-bed-based-gymnastics. But that's my mind for you
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:48   #11
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
And what does it do?

Can anyone help?
They are used for joining wires together. I've normally seen them used along with bullet and spade connectors in cars. The blue red and yellow colours denote the current load they can take, I think in that order, blue the lowest current load and smallest.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57   #12
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Actually, it depends on the cross-sectional area of the wire - although, inevitably, this normally corresponds to the current:

use Red for wire 0.26mm2 to 1.65mm2 (22-16 AWG)
use Blue for wire 1.04mm2 to 2.63mm2 (16-14 AWG)
use Yellow for wire 2.63mm2 to 6.64mm2 (12-10 AWG)
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:25   #13
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Actually, it depends on the cross-sectional area of the wire - although, inevitably, this normally corresponds to the current:

use Red for wire 0.26mm2 to 1.65mm2 (22-16 AWG)
use Blue for wire 1.04mm2 to 2.63mm2 (16-14 AWG)
use Yellow for wire 2.63mm2 to 6.64mm2 (12-10 AWG)
Yep, that's about the size of it, no pun intended