Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | recieving texts as voice not text

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

recieving texts as voice not text

Old 03-05-2008, 16:03   #1
m_attt
Inactive

m_attt is an unknown quantity at this point
recieving texts as voice not text

hi ive found theese forums usefull in the past but this time i cant find an answer so i thought id sign up and post for a change.

im in service area 18
i dont know if it is ex telewest or ex ntl as i signed up to virgin media, i have a @blueyonder.co.uk, email address if that helps.

my problem is with the text service,

i have:
a text enabled landline
caller id
and text register to 00000- were it rings me back saying "sorry there is a problem, please try later" or "contact your service provider"

i can send texts to people no problems but can only get them back as voice texts, ive checked service numbers and there correct (although in phone user guide it says bt numbers, but from searchs on the web it seems there for virgin too.) ive rung vm only to get passed from person to person and them all pretty much saying we dont have anything to do with this, even though there website says "sign up for VIRGIN media text" and " WE will charge you 10p p/t to your monthly VIRGIN bill. so it seems there happy to take the money and just pass the buck.

ive even tried bt like suggested by them but as i dont have a bt line or account theres nothing they can do, which seems fair enough.

can anyone shed some light on the matter, thanks in advance

matt
m_attt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2008, 18:11   #2
m_attt
Inactive

Re: recieving texts as voice not text

oh and the receive number rings my phone, rather than sends it as a text or is this the phone not recogniseing it somehow
Old 22-05-2008, 22:31   #3
apuk2004
Inactive

apuk2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am also trying to setup SMS (virgin media text)
i just got some new cordless home phones (panasonic KXTG8224) which are SMS compatible but I cannot get the service working
i cannot seem to text from landline to mobile and only get a voice text if i send a text from mobile to landline
just called virgin 150 and got told the service is not in my area
maybe this is your problem too
apuk2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 23:31   #4
m_attt
Inactive

i have no problems texting landline or mobiles, its i only ever get them back being read out. ive rang virgin a few times and tbh they are useless get a diffeernt answer from each person and get passed from one to another. after some research i think its down to the caller i.d virgin use as theres two types BT standard and **(cant remember) Standard. so the phone doesnt regonise the text number as a text, just thinks its a normal call.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:52   #5
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

SMS works on xTelewest.

Yes, cable in most areas use a different CLID system.

The 'BT' version sends the CLID before the ring, so SMS phones know not to ring the phone when it 'sees' the SMS service centre phone number.

The cable version sends it after the first ring, so unless the phone has been designed to ignore the first ring of any call, the phone will ring and then when it sees the SMS service centre phone number the SMS section takes over.

The 'BT' version of CLID also has CWID - Call Waiting Caller ID - So if you have call waiting and someone calls you can see whilst still on the call who the waiting caller is.

The cable version is a version of BellCore. The BT version is ETSI FSK (UK) with PR.

www.bt.com/bttext

Try a send centre no: 1470P17094009

May need a couple or three P (pauses) on cable as the cable system needs pauses (the BT system can get away without them).

Receive centre no of either:-

0800587529* - replace * with a digital 1 to 9
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 15:36   #6
Visitor
Inactive

Services: Broadband
Visitor is on a distinguished roadVisitor is on a distinguished road

Hold on, since when did Virgin start a SMS service ? The only way I know about is via the TV cable box, where you had to pre-pay for the text messages. Or the MOBILE service, not landline.

The BT numbers are no good at all on Virgin lines ??

Edit:
Ah, so someone is doing it for them

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/tele...media-text.php

Edit:
Jusr rang 150 and asked, they know NOTHING about this

I have a pin number on my line cant send SMS without a space after the pin number, can find a space or a commer (BT Calypso 225)

They will ring me back
Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 15:38   #7
Kellargh
Inactive

Services: BT internet, TalkTalk telephone, Sky HD.
Kellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really nice

Highly confusing.

We've never been told or trained on any of this in Faults, so if you called through and got various different responses...that is why. Bit worrying, especially if more people get issues with it :O
Kellargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 23:48   #8
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor View Post
Hold on, since when did Virgin start a SMS service ? The only way I know about is via the TV cable box, where you had to pre-pay for the text messages. Or the MOBILE service, not landline.

The BT numbers are no good at all on Virgin lines ??

Edit:
Ah, so someone is doing it for them

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/tele...media-text.php

Edit:
Jusr rang 150 and asked, they know NOTHING about this

I have a pin number on my line cant send SMS without a space after the pin number, can find a space or a commer (BT Calypso 225)

They will ring me back
VM on the xTelewest side has had SMS for several years. It's simply the BT-Text service.

Can you not enter a few pauses?
Old 24-06-2008, 15:51   #9
Visitor
Inactive

Update

What a game, I rang VM who said that im lying that is until I gave them the web address, then it went very quite and was told he would ring me back.

8 days later, still no call, so I rang them again, this time passed all over the place, at one time saying I had a fault on the line, another hung up on me !

Then I got to speak to someone in Scotland, now the Scottish are known to be in the know, if there is any technical problem, they have the answer.

Unfortunately the person I spoke too, didn’t have a clue, and neither did his managers.

Well after a very long time on the phone, he gave up on me and said check the phone settings

So I rang BT (0800 022 3089) for the record and at first it was what can I do for you "Sir" but as soon as I said I was a VM customer, the tone of her voice changed, and all I got was the SMS is for BT customers only.

I've made a complaint with the advertisement authority, at least someone may either take down the page, or explain how it works.

The facts are, you got to register with the BT service, if you follow what's been said, you either send a SMS to a friend, or send ‘register’ to 00000

Try it, dial 00000 you will get nothing ! other than a tone that sounds like "bad number" as if you dialled voice mail with a wrong number.

IT DON’T WORK !

VM do not have a gateway to BT via 00000, and the incoming SMS messages via a 0845 number (call centre) wont work unless your on a BT line.

You would think by now with VM mobile phones, there would be something set up?

NOTHING

So that web link is nothing but garbage, it don’t exist, and I'm wondering if someone put the page up there just before he left VM

I'm convinced its nothing my end, as using two phones I am able to enter my pin, and send the SMS, got the timing right after a few goes, it dont work.

Next stop, a US robotics modem, just to prove its nothing my end

Edit:
Found Pause (hold arrow up)
Old 24-06-2008, 20:13   #10
BexTech
Inactive

I'm on xTelewest Virgin Media and the SMS service works fine.

Set-up was by using:

08005875290 and 1470P17094009 as the various centre numbers.

Texting register 00000 works.

Not meant to be available on xNTL or at least on most xNTL.
Old 24-06-2008, 22:38   #11
Visitor
Inactive

1470 is just showing any wethheld number, P=Pause

so the number its just 17094009, which I just get a no number tone on.

They should put up a page if it dont exist, it wasnt there when they were NTL

I give up easier to switch to BT
Old 29-06-2008, 13:37   #12
Visitor
Inactive

Update, I wrote a letter, finally I got the truth, its only available for ex-teliwest customers, and perhaps in the future ex-ntl customers
Old 04-07-2008, 21:58   #13
Chicken
Inactive

Chicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor View Post
Update, I wrote a letter, finally I got the truth, its only available for ex-teliwest customers, and perhaps in the future ex-ntl customers
Ah, well that explains why I can't get SMS to work on my fancy new phone.

All of which begs the questions of a) how do they get away with advertising it on the website, and b) do I return the phone and get the cheaper model without SMS, or get rid of VM's phone line and go for one that actually does what it says its supposed to.

Hmmmm...
Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:10   #14
BexTech
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken View Post

All of which begs the questions of a) how do they get away with advertising it on the website, and b) do I return the phone and get the cheaper model without SMS, or get rid of VM's phone line and go for one that actually does what it says its supposed to.

Hmmmm...
Probably best to go to BT for line rental (£30 install) and CPS calls to Primus Saver 2 and add on Penny Mobile, means you get evening and weekend calls for no extra cost over the £10.50 BT line rental (DD & Paperless) and calls to UK mobiles for 20p for up to 20 mins. Caller Display is free via BTPrivacy, though 2 calls per month (6 per quarter if quarterly billing) chargeable / inclusive must go via BT otherwise they charge £1.75/month for caller display. If your calls go via another provider like Primus, simply prefix the call with 1280 and the call will go via BT. You can also use Call 18185 for other cheaper calls too.

Would be nice for cable to sort their phone system out, would be nice if they used the BT standard of caller display in all areas and not just one or two and offer Caller ID on waiting call.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:02   #15
Visitor
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken View Post

Hmmmm...
They did say that page should be updated, if you bought the phone from VM, thinking it could be used for SMS, then I know you could get your money back.

BTW you can send SMS from your TV box, but its done via a third party company which you have to pay up front.

You would also need a cable tv keyboard, think I paid £7.50 at the time, else the standard remote would take forever to select Letters etc