Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with new modem cant get it working with ethernet!! :(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems with new modem cant get it working with ethernet!! :(

Old 18-04-2008, 13:49   #1
street
Inactive

street is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems with new modem cant get it working with ethernet!! :(

Okay please guys I need help! Yesterday a engineer came to fix my internet. He said my old modem was knackered so gave me a new one. My old one was attached by USB as I didnt have a ethernet card in my pc. The engineeer gave me a USB/Ethernet adapter so I could plug it in and advised me to buy a ethernet card which I did so today. Ive plugged it in, green light is on and everything. When i go to device manager there is a exclamation mark next to the network adapter so i right click it, press properties and it says 'this device cannot start'. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling, looked for driver updates and there are none. How do I get this working guys! Please help!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2008, 13:51   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Problems with new modem cant get it working with ethernet!! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Okay please guys I need help! Yesterday a engineer came to fix my internet. He said my old modem was knackered so gave me a new one. My old one was attached by USB as I didnt have a ethernet card in my pc. The engineeer gave me a USB/Ethernet adapter so I could plug it in and advised me to buy a ethernet card which I did so today. Ive plugged it in, green light is on and everything. When i go to device manager there is a exclamation mark next to the network adapter so i right click it, press properties and it says 'this device cannot start'. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling, looked for driver updates and there are none. How do I get this working guys! Please help!
Have you restarted your PC?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 13:53   #3
street
Inactive

yes^
Old 18-04-2008, 14:01   #4
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

What the hell... So the engineer came around and left you without internet.

TBH The engineer should come back and finish the job
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 14:03   #5
street
Inactive

no no he gave me the usb/ethernet adapter so that he wouldnt leave me without internet. i am using the usb adapter now to type this but want my ethernet to work
Old 18-04-2008, 14:11   #6
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
no no he gave me the usb/ethernet adapter so that he wouldnt leave me without internet. i am using the usb adapter now to type this but want my ethernet to work
Oh sorry my bad - I'm known to mouth off before actually doing any reading.

Maybe this could be moved to one of the computing sub forums - there are a lot of nerds in there who can help with drivers and the sort
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 15:59   #7
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Its simply a case of installing the drivers for your Ethernet Card. Once done, power down the modem, plug in the RJ45 cable to the Ethernet Card, UNPLUG the USB cable, power it back on, and then power up your PC. It should then work.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 16:02   #8
street
Inactive

^done this dont work
Old 18-04-2008, 17:57   #9
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles