Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone not ringing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Phone not ringing

Old 14-04-2008, 09:19   #1
seanyseansean
Inactive

seanyseansean is an unknown quantity at this point
Phone not ringing

Me with another Telewest problem

My girlfriend has Telewest phone, tv and bb. Sometimes people claim they've rung her landline but it never rang. I always discounted this till yesterday, I rang from work twice - both times it rang 6 times then went to voicemail.

So I MSNed her instead, and she swears the whole family were watching a film, the phone had been off (and not used for at least an hour). The phone was not off the hook - it's a DECT phone that automatically cuts out after 10 mins of non use anyway.

Is this a problem people have heard about before, or is it just Virgin managing phone traffic in a similar fashion to their broadband?

Sean
seanyseansean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2008, 09:57   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Phone not ringing

You need to rule out that the phone itself isn't causing a problem. Is there an old standard wired type lying around that could be tried temporarily? Does it make any difference if extensions are unplugged and the phone is connected only to the master socket? Remember too, that too many phones plugged in means inadequate power for the ringer.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 10:14   #3
seanyseansean
Inactive

seanyseansean is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
You need to rule out that the phone itself isn't causing a problem. Is there an old standard wired type lying around that could be tried temporarily? Does it make any difference if extensions are unplugged and the phone is connected only to the master socket? Remember too, that too many phones plugged in means inadequate power for the ringer.
There is only one phone plugged in, I will try the old skool phone later, thanks!
seanyseansean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 13:27   #4
RUSTY
Inactive

Services: ntl 10Mg broadband, ntl XL samsung TV drive V+ talk unlimited RF Mod powered scart Tivo HTC Desir
RUSTY is on a distinguished roadRUSTY is on a distinguished road

had this problem twice in a year, each time quickly fixed in the local green box.
RUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 16:58   #5
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Theres some very funny things happening lately! It just sounds like dodgy wiring somewhere.

I had a similar issue when I had two lines in the same property, one for dial up internet and one for basic telephone use,the days before broadband was around. When we redecorated a lot of wiring got pulled out and tried to fix all the wiring back together incl the junction box within the flat, I didn't realise i had joined the two lines together, so when people phoned me, they heard a dial tone and alot of crackling on the line when i answered lol I felt a right plonker when the engineer came round! And still had the £75 fee in the end lol
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 23:00   #6
chaders
Inactive

chaders is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe the capacitor in the master socket
chaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 15:53   #7
Kellargh
Inactive

Services: BT internet, TalkTalk telephone, Sky HD.
Kellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really nice

Intermittent NDT, quite a common fault we get - normally due to wiring issues. A tech would fix it...test a normal corded phone, and if it's still the same call in!
Kellargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 22:43   #8
PS1
Inactive

Services: FIRE,AMBULANCE AND POLICE
PS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Phone not ringing

intermittent ndt?, how do you know this guy has dial tone or not? that would be where id start. if the phone is dead when he picks it up then yes, the line is dis somewhere, if not and he has dial tone but no incomming calls then that s a different matter all together isnt it.
PS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 23:55   #9
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

"phone not ringing"

Maybe nobody is phoning LOL
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote