Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ambit cable modem user guide?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ambit cable modem user guide?

Old 08-04-2008, 13:29   #1
iantresman
Inactive

iantresman is an unknown quantity at this point
Ambit cable modem user guide?

My father's has just received his Ambit 256 cable modem which replaces the one in his Samsung set-top box (STB). Anyone know where I can find a user guide... I think I need to set-up port forwarding since our remote connection with UltraVNC is no longer working.
iantresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2008, 13:33   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ambit cable modem user guide?

there is no way to do that. it is a modem, not a router.

it passes all ports from the net to whatever is connected to it
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:08   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantresman View Post
My father's has just received his Ambit 256 cable modem which replaces the one in his Samsung set-top box (STB). Anyone know where I can find a user guide... I think I need to set-up port forwarding since our remote connection with UltraVNC is no longer working.
It will be more likely that the IP has changed as that depends on what device is connected, the Modem does not have any routing functions onboard. To check the IP, go to www.whatismyip.com from the computer concerned.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:12   #4
iantresman
Inactive

Good, that makes it easier. In that case, it's probably just Windows Vista Firewall that I need to tweak. Some install documents for UltraVNC are here which includes a link to: How to Debug "Failed to Connect to Server" Version 2 (Updated 2007-4-6)
Old 08-04-2008, 14:14   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantresman View Post
Good, that makes it easier. In that case, it's probably just Windows Vista Firewall that I need to tweak. Some install documents for UltraVNC are here which includes a link to: How to Debug "Failed to Connect to Server" Version 2 (Updated 2007-4-6)
Did you not read my post?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:24   #6
iantresman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Did you not read my post?
Nope, our posts crossed. Turns out you were quite right. The new cable modem has a new IP address, which I can read by hovering my cursor over the UltraVNC icon in the system tray.

I have already checked out the new IP address... but I had entered the new IP address with an extra dot! Now corrected, and the connection works great.

As you say, no configuration of the modem was necessary, and no changes with Windows Vista firewall were needed either.

Thanks for your help.