Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Getting 20mb with Cable Modem and STB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Getting 20mb with Cable Modem and STB

Old 02-04-2008, 13:07   #1
vonneo
Inactive

vonneo is an unknown quantity at this point
Getting 20mb with Cable Modem and STB

I've got a silver Samsung STB which only gives me 10mb internet when I should get 20mb. I vaguely remembered at the time VM upgrading something so I could get the full 20mb internet speed but didn't get around to calling them until this week.

The call-centre lady told me I needed a Cable Modem and it arrived today in the post.

My problem is, it seems that the cable that currently runs into my STB (providing me with the internet and cable tv) from the wall box is the same one that is supposed to go into the Cable Modem, obviously if I do this I won't be able to receive TV channels. I guess my question is: Am I being dumb? logically it seems to me that there's a cable missing somewhere but the letter that accompanied it said nothing about it and the lady on the phone didn't seem to think there would be a problem.

Thanks!
vonneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2008, 13:10   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Getting 20mb with Cable Modem and STB

to Cable Forum

If you are still receiving TV via the STB then you will need to get a splitter kit enabling the feed into the STB to be connected to both the modem and STB. Virgin Media should supply those parts, or alternatively you may need an engineer to visit and install for you (the latter is advantageous if you don't want the modem near the STB, but it may cost).
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 13:11   #3
gc10360
Inactive

Services: VM XL phone & BB - sky HD - SONY bravia 52W4000 LCDTV HD DVD & BLU RAY XBox 360 ONKYO 605 HD Reci
gc10360 is on a distinguished roadgc10360 is on a distinguished road

yes, you need a cable splitter and another piece of cable to run from the splitter to the modem, actually you really need 2 so that one can run from the splitter to the STB as well.
gc10360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 13:28   #4
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
to Cable Forum

If you are still receiving TV via the STB then you will need to get a splitter kit enabling the feed into the STB to be connected to both the modem and STB. Virgin Media should supply those parts, or alternatively you may need an engineer to visit and install for you (the latter is advantageous if you don't want the modem near the STB, but it may cost).
Excellent advice, as Rob says the modem will be only 1 foot from the stb, in which case you'll need a long length of ethernet to connect to your PC. This is what happened to me.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:20   #5
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
Excellent advice, as Rob says the modem will be only 1 foot from the stb, in which case you'll need a long length of ethernet to connect to your PC. This is what happened to me.
the enet cable is already going from the set top to the p.c. use that, but out of the back of the modem
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:20   #6
Sybex9
Inactive

Sybex9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my STB, it would only give me 6.5 mb, My modem kit arrived today with loads of cables including a splitter so I can connect to the Modem and STB. The problem I have is that Virgin Media say you cannot activate the modem until after April 6th due to some upgrade they are doing as the new modem requires a new PID for when it gets registered, I find this a bit strange as I already have an old PID that I got with the STB ages ago that works with my current set up. I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer....
Sybex9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:22   #7
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybex9 View Post
I had the same problem with my STB, it would only give me 6.5 mb, My modem kit arrived today with loads of cables including a splitter so I can connect to the Modem and STB. The problem I have is that Virgin Media say you cannot activate the modem until after April 6th due to some upgrade they are doing as the new modem requires a new PID for when it gets registered, I find this a bit strange as I already have an old PID that I got with the STB ages ago that works with my current set up. I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer....
you need an 8 digit PIN for the modems sybex,the PID (10 digits) was relative only to the set top broadband registration.
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 16:06   #8
Sybex9
Inactive

Sybex9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
you need an 8 digit PIN for the modems sybex,the PID (10 digits) was relative only to the set top broadband registration.
Typical that I get caught up in the middle of this upgrade, but at least I've still got my STB set connection to the internet, cheers for that info, I guess thats the code (10 digit) I have to wait for.
I also got a nice router with my free modem kit which I thought was a nice touch...
Sybex9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 16:09   #9
zing_deleted

There is system maintenance on the old ntl network meaning activation isnt possible this week afaib
Old 02-04-2008, 20:15   #10
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonneo View Post
I've got a silver Samsung STB which only gives me 10mb internet when I should get 20mb. I vaguely remembered at the time VM upgrading something so I could get the full 20mb internet speed but didn't get around to calling them until this week.

The call-centre lady told me I needed a Cable Modem and it arrived today in the post.

My problem is, it seems that the cable that currently runs into my STB (providing me with the internet and cable tv) from the wall box is the same one that is supposed to go into the Cable Modem, obviously if I do this I won't be able to receive TV channels. I guess my question is: Am I being dumb? logically it seems to me that there's a cable missing somewhere but the letter that accompanied it said nothing about it and the lady on the phone didn't seem to think there would be a problem.

Thanks!
What you need is a Modem especially if you are on 20 meg, I am amazed that you say you actually got 10 meg through your STB as they are not supposed to give more than 4 meg and Virginmedia even then only rate them to run at 1 meg.

Phone Technical support and get them to send out a Modem so you can get the full benefit of your 20 meg connection.

I should also warn you that all Virgin/NTL broadband services at the end of March are switching over their databases, over a 6 day period from 31/03/08 till 6/04/08 which may cause problems as there might be issues with the email service.

NB: Anyone in ex-telewest areas are not affected whatsoever.

Technical support number 0906 212 1111