Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IRC'ing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

IRC'ing?

Old 04-03-2008, 18:52   #1
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all
IRC'ing?

what's going on with VM's network, or DNS for that matter?

Quote:
* Connect retry #1 irc.efnet.org (6667) (dns pool)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
-

* Connecting to irc.freenode.net (6668)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
I've had this for about 2/3 days now. If I change port it's all okay.

Weird...
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2008, 19:18   #2
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads
Re: IRC'ing?

both Efnet and Freenode working here
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 19:36   #3
jcuk
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL Broadband 20Mb / XL Digital TV / Virgin Phone
jcuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jcuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth01 View Post
what's going on with VM's network, or DNS for that matter?

Weird...
dont think its much to do with virgins network, however it could be, both networks work fine for me too. checked router configuration?
jcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 20:14   #4
smeagoly1
Inactive

Services: Bugger all now apart from 8meg ADSL and only 2 meg at best!!!! I want my 20meg cable back!
smeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nice

I used to use MIRC more than a few years back. At times there used to be a lot of abuse and DOS attacks on various servers, so instead of indervidual bans they may have used a blanket 24 hour ISP ban.
I know the old Dalnet server had a sustained attack over a few months, leading to all AOL users getting banned in the mid 90's.

Mind you the server might be down for a service, it does happen, I would wait 24 hours and then try to connect, or maybe see if my firewall had blocked IRC. It happend a few times with an early version of zone alarms, would block MIRC without my knowledge.
smeagoly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 21:04   #5
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Try to connect with their servers IP address

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 21:25   #6
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

it works when I connect to the IP, but doesn't when connecting via the actual domain name - which again, sounds like a DNS resolving issue, which I can only blame VM for.
Old 04-03-2008, 22:05   #7
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough

it works when I connect to the IP < how do you do that? I've had this issue with two servers .. ChatSociety and Enterthegame servers.
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 23:20   #8
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

IRC working fine here.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 23:20   #9
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
it works when I connect to the IP, but doesn't when connecting via the actual domain name - which again, sounds like a DNS resolving issue, which I can only blame VM for.
You might be interested to look at the DNS service that I use.

http://treewalkdns.com/
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:08   #10
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

Ah joy of joys, so it's not just me that suffers the blight of mirc? I use ircnet and spend more time pinging out than anything else... it's a PITA...
It's an important place for me... got friends, good friends, people I've met and am due to meet for a concert at the end of this month and I'd like to stay connected for longer than a couple of minutes at a time.... we have details to arrange for meeting up (some have never been to Manchester before and aren't from the UK) so we can all proceed to the venue together - and irc, right now, is a valuable asset for what I need to be doing but currently can't.
The ircnet chatroom itself is 12 years old, so therefore, it moving home to another irc server is not on the agenda...
I use a Vista driven laptop to connect and up until just recently, there wasn't a problem at all.. yes, I'm wireless too - but nothing has changed regarding our router settings and the laptop is fully uptodate with everything and yes, mIRC has got top priority.... the internet is running superbly sweetly here (no sign of the 10meg upgrade as yet... *lol*) so, I can't think what the issue is.... our other PC which is connected via the ethernet ports hasn't got a single problem....
Browsing through the forum on mirc.com leads *nowhere*.....
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:17   #11
eth01
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_abi View Post
Ah joy of joys, so it's not just me that suffers the blight of mirc? I use ircnet and spend more time pinging out than anything else... it's a PITA...
It's an important place for me... got friends, good friends, people I've met and am due to meet for a concert at the end of this month and I'd like to stay connected for longer than a couple of minutes at a time.... we have details to arrange for meeting up (some have never been to Manchester before and aren't from the UK) so we can all proceed to the venue together - and irc, right now, is a valuable asset for what I need to be doing but currently can't.
The ircnet chatroom itself is 12 years old, so therefore, it moving home to another irc server is not on the agenda...
I use a Vista driven laptop to connect and up until just recently, there wasn't a problem at all.. yes, I'm wireless too - but nothing has changed regarding our router settings and the laptop is fully uptodate with everything and yes, mIRC has got top priority.... the internet is running superbly sweetly here (no sign of the 10meg upgrade as yet... *lol*) so, I can't think what the issue is.... our other PC which is connected via the ethernet ports hasn't got a single problem....
Browsing through the forum on mirc.com leads *nowhere*.....
i'm from manchester lol :P
Old 05-03-2008, 02:42   #12
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
considering theres ~30 IPs for irc.efnet.org and ~10 for irc.freenode.net it's unlikely the one you used with the hostname was the one you tried with the IP.

Secondly, the 'Connection Refused' error has nothing to do with DNS (what is it with people blaming DNS problems for all connections problems lately?). If it was the DNS failing to resolve you'd see 'Unable to resolve server'.

Granted you could be getting an old record for the host names but IRC server IPs rarely change.
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 13:19   #13
eth01
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post
considering theres ~30 IPs for irc.efnet.org and ~10 for irc.freenode.net it's unlikely the one you used with the hostname was the one you tried with the IP.

Secondly, the 'Connection Refused' error has nothing to do with DNS (what is it with people blaming DNS problems for all connections problems lately?). If it was the DNS failing to resolve you'd see 'Unable to resolve server'.

Granted you could be getting an old record for the host names but IRC server IPs rarely change.
I can't connect to any one IP, oh, I can connect to one which uses :8001 on freenode ... efnet is no go zone.

Weird...[/QUOTE]
Old 05-03-2008, 13:37   #14
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

I've had no problems with MIRC myself
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 21:17   #15
AmAtoL
cf.addict

Services: 20 meg BB , 3 Samsung STB's, Landline, 4 Mobiles, V+ Box, UK Online 8 Meg
AmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enough

Although I've dropped off the IRC scene recently, I always used to use Quakenet, mainly due to the popularity of the game and clan channels. It was as solid as you could want.
Although no good if you have long standing channels elsewhere.
AmAtoL is offline   Reply With Quote