Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Net goes down when starting one P2P but..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Net goes down when starting one P2P but..

Old 03-03-2008, 14:46   #1
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Net goes down when starting one P2P but..

not when using another.

I have two p2ps programs on my computer (utorrent and emule). Over the past few days I've had connection issues, sometimes all day, sometimes it works fine but has occassional drops in connection. Today after resetting my router/modem I could connect ok, had torrent running for a few ours as well as irc, but as soon as I start emule, it drops (I use it sometimes when net drops as it shows me a graph of when it is working fine and when it doesn't). I close it down and it works fine again. A few hours later I give it another try and the same thing happens.

I think it's too coincidental of a situation, so was wondering if there was a reasonable explaination?. Seems weird to me.
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2008, 15:07   #2
xspeedyx

Re: Net goes down when starting one P2P but..

It sounds like your overloading your connection/router.
You should only use one peer2peer program at once as too many connections can cause your connection to suddenly drop out
Old 03-03-2008, 15:13   #3
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough

But i've had the exact same no of connections for a while in both programs and with no problems until just a few days ago.
Old 03-03-2008, 15:33   #4
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

try updating the firmware fo the router, sounds like hardware issue with it rather than a VM issue
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 15:58   #5
bbwannabe
Inactive

lol, updated firmware router 2 days after i had connection problems, and am still having them *Oddly, both programs are working now and seem fine but i'm holding my breath until at least 24hrs goes by without any issues.
Old 03-03-2008, 16:36   #6
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Lol they are on to you!
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 16:46   #7
bbwannabe
Inactive

o_O
Old 03-03-2008, 18:23   #8
jcuk
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL Broadband 20Mb / XL Digital TV / Virgin Phone
jcuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jcuk

tried pluggin your machine directly into the modem to see if it resolves the problems?

resolves 100% of problems whenever i have internet issues.

as far as i know vm dont monitor and regulate connections on p2p or any other protocol. however they still monitor bandwidth regardless, using stm, which shouldnt affect connection issues.
jcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 21:18   #9
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

If you're using XP SP2, have you increased the number of half-open TCP connections it can use?

TorrentFreak wrote an accessible explanation of the problem over 2 years ago -- the article focuses on bittorrent but the same is applicable for all P2P apps.

More technical info and the downloadable patching routine is available from LviLord.de.

hth
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 21:54   #10
bbwannabe
Inactive

I use XP-Antispy and changed the default no of connections to unlimited, so it can't be that unfortunately. Will give the direct connection (minus router) approach a try next time the net cuts off.
Old 03-03-2008, 22:20   #11
ceedee
cf.geek

ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwannabe View Post
I use XP-Antispy and changed the default no of connections to unlimited, so it can't be that unfortunately. Will give the direct connection (minus router) approach a try next time the net cuts off.
XP-AntiSpy seems to recommend that you set the number of permitted half-open connections to 10 -- most P2P-familiar sites recommend 50-100.
AFAIK there is no unlimited setting.

Recommend you read (any of) the articles I took the time to link to, download the patch and check your settings.
Old 03-03-2008, 23:06   #12
bbwannabe
Inactive

ok unlimited maybe exaggerating it, it's "Current maximum concurrent half-open connections: 16777214", it recommends that I don't change any settings in versions > than 1.7 utorrent (can't find it in settings anywhere tbh). I'll change the half connections from what it is now to 100. But part of me still thinks it isn't the cause of the troubles of the past few days.

Doesn't hurt to give it a go.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:32   #13
ceedee
cf.geek

I doubt this will, on it's own, turn out to be the *cause* of your recent problem -- just another in the list of things to rule out.
:-)

I'm wondering if there's a way to monitor which emule servers you connect to before the speed crashes?
I notice that some folks on the emule forums are reporting "abnormal" cpu loads -- seen anything weird there?

Good luck!

(In uTorrent v1.60, you could change the value of "net.max_halfopen" under the Advanced Options in Preferences. I've still not got around to playing with 1.7!)
Old 04-03-2008, 01:40   #14
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Still think they are on to you!!! haha

Have you tried uninstalling - reinstalling or installing and trying a different p2p - like bitcomet or something?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:33   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
It sounds like your overloading your connection/router.
You should only use one peer2peer program at once as too many connections can cause your connection to suddenly drop out
Funny you should mention that...

I had the same situation the other day when I tried to do a mass server ping within a game, got through a couple then totally stopped my connection.

Easy enough to fix in my case as I use a software router until my Business roadband gets installed and I just turned off max connections per user. (only two of us and only I tend to break it )

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote