Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do speed bumps slow down response times ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do speed bumps slow down response times ?

Old 16-08-2005, 20:57   #1
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
Do speed bumps slow down response times ?

If a person was having a heart attack or other life threatening thing would speed bumps make a difference between life and death?

ive put a lot of thought to this and i think yes it would
including pros and cons what are your views please
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2005, 21:01   #2
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM
Re: Do speed bumps slow down response times ?

In Bury Mark they drive up the middle of the road, the bumps are split in the middle.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 21:04   #3
marky
Inactive

marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy MM
In Bury Mark they drive up the middle of the road, the bumps are split in the middle.
i think they are the bus friendly ones
i saw an amulance today about 20 mins ago creeping over speed bumps outside my house
Old 16-08-2005, 21:06   #4
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymoan
i think they are the bus friendly ones
i saw an amulance today about 20 mins ago creeping over speed bumps outside my house
Gigg lane's not a bus route lol
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 21:10   #5
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Well round here they slow down the wider vehicles (eg ambulances!) but the Pizza Hut delivery chavs drive down the middle of them at well over our 20 mph speed limit. We're also a one way road, not that they pay attention to that either.
I thought that patients had to be stabilised before they could be moved, then they wouldn't need any drastic procedures done on the way to hospital. In that case the speed bumps shouldn't make that much diffference? You couldn't speed down our road if you wanted to - it's a very narrow road and you have to be pretty careful!
Not that I like them in any case - although given my job I think I'm supposed to.
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 21:13   #6
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

As someone who's been in the back of an ambulance with broken ribs, I was stabilised, but boy did those bumps hurt, even going over them slowly, and it delayed getting to hospital
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 22:23   #7
marky
Inactive

I was talking about getting to the person over the speed bumps
before they stabalise them (response time)
bearing in mind they have a lot of delicate equipment
Old 16-08-2005, 22:30   #8
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Well when we have any sort of 'traffic calming' measures going in any of the roads round here, copies of the proposed plans are submitted to the relevant agencies (including the emergency services) to ensure that the measures will not impede their response times. They have objected at times to the position and size of road humps on occasions, and changes have been made to accomodate their requirements. Having said that, I'm sure it must slow them down.
Round here we have the 'cushion' type in pairs across the road, so in theory emergency vehicles should be able to straddle them. In practice it doesn't work because of parked cars on both sides of the road.
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 23:37   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Round here, they seem to be gradually removing the "sleeping policemen" they threw down everywhere in the late 80s and early 90s*, and, where traffic calming measures are geniunely need (ie not in most of the roads), they are replacing them with the "cushion" types Chi mentions.

*As a side note, I heard rumours that they were even going to introduce sleeping policemen up my road. Seeing as my road has a grand total of about 10 houses, takes 30 seconds to walk from one end to the other, and is a cul de sac, I would actually be impressed by any car with the sheer acceleration needed to speed up it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 01:01   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Perhaps ambulances need the same sort of suspension that my car has.....

Speed bumps? What are they?

It's a Xantia with the trick pneumatic suspension, the car actually stays level as you go over the bumps - they've got to be really severe for me to even feel them
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 01:11   #11
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Perhaps ambulances need the same sort of suspension that my car has.....

Speed bumps? What are they?

It's a Xantia with the trick pneumatic suspension, the car actually stays level as you go over the bumps - they've got to be really severe for me to even feel them
That's why in france/corsica they have modified xantias as small ambulances
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 01:26   #12
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

It's been said many times that speed bumps are an hindrance on the emergency services, particularly Ambulances. But not only this, its been in the news also about cracks appearing in the exterior walls of nearby houses because of HGV's taking to the route of the speed bumps. Nasty.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 01:31   #13
marky
Inactive

the best of it is they dont serve a purpose
the idiots drive faster
i just dont know
i'm just
Old 17-08-2005, 05:48   #14
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

All speed bumps cause the emergency vehicles to slow down, I once witnessed an ambulance in Mansfield going over some speed bumps at 10mph with it's light flashing. I hope the person got there ok.