Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How can I check if I'm on 4mb or not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How can I check if I'm on 4mb or not?

Old 22-02-2008, 15:22   #1
xxxxxx
Inactive

xxxxxx can only hope to improve
How can I check if I'm on 4mb or not?

I've been on 192.168.100.1, to check my if I'm getting 4mb or not, but all it gives me, on signal, is this:

Downstream Value
Frequency 331000000 Hz

Signal To Noise Ratio 38.0 dB

Power Level 0.4 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 34000000 Hz
Power 50.0 dBmV

Can anyone give me some help how I check if I'm on 4mb or not? I just have a feeling I've been downgraded from 4mb to 2mb (when I checked on speedtest.net) when I had it 2 weeks ago.

Cheers.
xxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2008, 15:30   #2
Bri_G
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP 20Mb bb V+ Talk Unlimited
Bri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the rough
Re: How can I check if I'm on 4mb or not?

Click on "Speed Test" at the top of the forum page, or follow this link.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/speed.php
Bri_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 15:35   #3
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

its not in Signal... its on Configuration.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 15:46   #4
Nemeth
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60mb
Nemeth will become famous soon enoughNemeth will become famous soon enoughNemeth will become famous soon enough

Where it is depends on the model of modem. The wording you've quoted looks the same as my Surfboard, so if your modem is a Motorola too you need to look on the logs page, for an entry along the lines of: "SW Download INIT - Via Config file cm-4096-384".
Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 16:05   #5
xxxxxx
Inactive

There's so many entries in log details. I've also been in the config details and it doesn't give me any details whatsoever about my speed.

here's my speed:

Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:57:13 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 42375 ms = 24.2 KB/sec, approx 199 Kbps, 0.19 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 54852 ms = 18.7 KB/sec, approx 154 Kbps, 0.15 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 52077 ms = 19.7 KB/sec, approx 162 Kbps, 0.16 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 167576 ms = 12.2 KB/sec, approx 101 Kbps, 0.1 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 154 Kbps, 0.15 Mbps

Oh dear. I never realised how bad it is. Does that mean I'm on 4mb or not?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 22-02-2008, 16:13   #6
Jonathan90
Inactive

Jonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really nice

ok browse to 192.168.100.1 then go to logs do Ctrl + f (bring up teh find thingy) type in cm-4096-384 press enter if it finds nothing try cm-2048-256.
Jonathan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 16:14   #7
Bri_G
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP 20Mb bb V+ Talk Unlimited
Bri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the rough

That looks very slow, is there a router on your network or are you connected directly to the modem?
Bri_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 16:20   #8
xxxxxx
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan90 View Post
ok browse to 192.168.100.1 then go to logs do Ctrl + f (bring up teh find thingy) type in cm-4096-384 press enter if it finds nothing try cm-2048-256.
Nothing came up for both.

Bri_G, I'm directed to the modem. I'm going to get a wireless router tomorrow. I don't know if that will help or not.
Old 22-02-2008, 16:38   #9
xspeedyx

Was you downloading when u did that test?
Old 22-02-2008, 16:54   #10
xxxxxx
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
Was you downloading when u did that test?
Nope.

I wasn't even on any other websites. It's either a fault in my area or I need another modem.
Old 22-02-2008, 17:00   #11
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

what modem have you got then ??
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 17:02   #12
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

How often after the modem is rebooted does the speed line appear in the config file? Is it just something that appears once and has perhaps been superseeded by later events? Perhaps our chap should reboot his modem before searching through the log for the line - also if the speed is wrong perhaps try searching for just cm- to find the line incase it isn't 4096 or 2048?
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 17:25   #13
xxxxxx
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDearing View Post
How often after the modem is rebooted does the speed line appear in the config file? Is it just something that appears once and has perhaps been superseeded by later events? Perhaps our chap should reboot his modem before searching through the log for the line - also if the speed is wrong perhaps try searching for just cm- to find the line incase it isn't 4096 or 2048?
Done that. I have a Surfboard modem. I mentioned it a few posts above.

I also rebooted my modem twice in the last 2 days. Nothing has changed. No mention of the speed or that. The speed will go alright for a few hours, but for most of the time, there's no point of downloading.
Old 22-02-2008, 17:51   #14
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

"Done that. I have a Surfboard modem. I mentioned it a few posts above."

Done what? Rebooted the modem and then searched the log file while few events are listed? Or do you mean you have just searched for cm- instead of putting cm-4096 or cm-2048?

Also, the line regarding your modem model seems a bit irrelevant to my suggestion - and slightly rude since it pointed me to a post that I must have read to be making my suggestion in the first place. One might suggest saving the attitude for VM as they are the ones charging you for your unfortunate service - this site and it's advice are free...
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 17:57   #15
xxxxxx
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDearing View Post
"Done that. I have a Surfboard modem. I mentioned it a few posts above."

Done what? Rebooted the modem and then searched the log file while few events are listed? Or do you mean you have just searched for cm- instead of putting cm-4096 or cm-2048?

Also, the line regarding your modem model seems a bit irrelevant to my suggestion - and slightly rude since it pointed me to a post that I must have read to be making my suggestion in the first place. One might suggest saving the attitude for VM as they are the ones charging you for your unfortunate service - this site and it's advice are free...
I wasn't being rude. I was simply saying, "It was stated above me." I didn't mean to come of as rude, which I don't see how it came out that way. And I was naming the make of modem to the person above you.

I have done both you suggested. Nothing as come up.