Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router/Network connections help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router/Network connections help

Old 13-02-2008, 19:59   #1
Tookeant
Inactive

Services: XL T.V, phone and Cable.
Tookeant is an unknown quantity at this point
Router/Network connections help

Hi

Recently my router went crazy and stopped working. I've set it all up again but there's a problem. I can access the dlink dkt 110's config page (http://192.168.0.1/) but I can't access the internet.

Or I can access the internet but I can't get in to the d link (http://192.168.0.1/) config page.

I've check out my network connections page and found the following.

Why the hell do I have so many connections? Is this what's stopping my router working properly?
Tookeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2008, 20:20   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Router/Network connections help

hmm, how were you setting up your connections, using various install disks for the router and your internet supplier. If you did, go to the control panel and uninstall them.. They just clog and confuse and aren't necessary for wired connections via ethernet.

How many network cards does your PC have - just one, the nvidia one? If so you can delete those broadband connections and the Local Area 3 (the 1394 and Local Area Connection should remain). Now power off the PC, modem and router.

Connect router to modem and PC to router. Power modem, them router, then PC.

You should now be able to browse to the router admin pages and through the router to the modem. If you can't get to the router, check your network connection is set to auto detect the IP address stuff in the card's TCP/IP properties, and that your browser (internet explorer), is set to auto in the connections with never dial a connection checked.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 02:15   #3
jaycee
Inactive

jaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enough

Unplug your Surfboard modem's USB connection - do not have the USB connection connected as well as the Ethernet one. This is what the "Local Area Connection 3" is.

The problem you're describing is the PC choosing random routes, when your internet works it is choosing to use the "Local Area Connection 3" which is a direct connection to the modem. When this happens, you can't access the router. At others, it is choosing to use "Local Area Connection" - which is connected to your router only. The modem won't respond to the router as it will only communicate with one device at a time.

Delete the two top items that say "Broadband Connection" - at a guess, in the past, you've had some ADSL service.

Switch off the modem, and the router. It's probably best to factory reset your router.

Connect the modem to the "WAN" or "Internet" port on the router. Connect your PC's ethernet connection to one of the "LAN" ports on the router.

Power on modem, then power on router. Set up router as described in the instructions.
jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 21:28   #4
Tookeant
Inactive

Services: XL T.V, phone and Cable.
Tookeant is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the help.

I managed to get it sorted.
Tookeant is offline   Reply With Quote