Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Packet Loss

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Packet Loss

Old 24-11-2007, 22:27   #1
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads
Packet Loss

Hi All,

After a major outage in the Glasgow area on Thursday night, I had to call BB support on Friday. My modem wasn't able to connect to VM's server according to BB support. This was diagnosed after I couldn't connect to the internet using my PC, PS3 and iPhone. They fixed this by sending a hit to the modem and asking me to reboot my modem and wireless router.

I then pulled them about the speeds I was getting (between 3-4mb on a "UP TO" 20mb service). They did some further diagnosis and said that I was suffering from major packet loss and booked an engineer.

I did some searching on this forum and found the troubleshooting tips on Robin D H Walkers web page.

I ran a netstat and these are the results I got:

Active Opens = 655
Passive Opens = 83
Failed Connection Attempts = 8
Reset Connections = 312
Current Connections = 9
Segments Received = 29360
Segments Sent = 25535
Segments Retransmitted = 845

My questions are these:

Is this likely to be a fault with the modem, the cabinet or the belkin wireless router I have?

What's the engineer likely to do to resolve this?

&

What should I check (apart from the obvious speed test etc) before the engineer leaves my property?

Many thanks as always!

Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2007, 23:50   #2
AmAtoL
cf.addict

Services: 20 meg BB , 3 Samsung STB's, Landline, 4 Mobiles, V+ Box, UK Online 8 Meg
AmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enough
Re: Packet Loss

It's unlikely it's your equipment, but even if it was there are people on here suffering the same thing whos equipment is not at fault.
Try downloading Pingplotter and connecting to any server, watch where the loss is taking place and content yourself that there is nothing you can do, or VM will do to alleviate the problem.

ie. big packet loss here :- man-bb-b-so-020-0.inet.ntl.com on 213.105.242.245
AmAtoL is offline   Reply With Quote