Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Another router problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Another router problem

Old 10-11-2007, 07:27   #1
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough
Question Another router problem

I have 3 laptops at home which have been connected to VM BB via a Linksys router, they all connected and see each other OK. I bought a ADSL router Belkin, in anticipation of the arrival of an ADSL line, the router is in factory default, only 2 laptops connected without a problem the third laptop although is connected, cannot go into the work group, and although the other 2 laptops and see it, but cannot access it's shared folders. Error message being no permission/network path not found.

When I switched everything back to my DSL router, its working again.

The Belkin is model F5D7633-4A

Question:

1. Any reason why this third computer cannot log on to the ADSL router?
2. I have no ADSL internet connection yet, they should still connect in the work group shouldn't they?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2007, 09:08   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Another router problem

Firewall perhaps. If the new router is handing out a different IP group maybe that needs to be put in a trusted zone?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:55   #3
ultimate
cf.geek

ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough

I have already disabled firewall, still the same
Old 10-11-2007, 11:30   #4
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
I have already disabled firewall, still the same
This is almost always a firewall issue. What firewall software are you using?
Old 10-11-2007, 13:05   #5
ultimate
cf.geek

I have more info, I borrowed a D-Link DKT-710 Modem Router and everything worked, so I think it is the Belkin router settings, don't know what tho, will check again later. I am using Notion Internet Security, but as I said I have disabled the firewall.

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

I have done more testing, if I connect the computer to the Belkin with a network cable its working, it is the laptop wireless, but just don;t know what is wrong as it connected ok with the D Link
Old 10-11-2007, 14:23   #6
Dai
Inactive

I'd be interested to see if the results of "ipconfig /all" tally with all 3 machines connected to the troublesome router.
Check that all machines are getting a valid IP, in the same group and all are showing the same default gateway.
Old 10-11-2007, 16:08   #7
ultimate
cf.geek

I am giving up, now the direct connection won't even work, I will take the Balkin back (from Costco) and I will go for one the D-Link which I know works for me.
Old 10-11-2007, 16:16   #8
Dai
Inactive

Sounds like the best plan. If things are getting worse I guess you have a faulty item.
Old 10-11-2007, 17:17   #9
ultimate
cf.geek

Thanks for your help