Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Newshosting / Newsleecher speeds unbearable with 4mb Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Newshosting / Newsleecher speeds unbearable with 4mb Virgin

Old 01-11-2007, 13:41   #1
simosimo
Inactive

simosimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Newshosting / Newsleecher speeds unbearable with 4mb Virgin

My speeds recently have been awful. I sometimes get my usual speed of 450-500kbs, but recently, most of my downloads have been inbetween 0kbs to 100kbs...it'll do that for a few minutes, then for about 10 seconds i'll get my speed, then slow again, it keeps fluctuating.

I dunno who's problem this is, either Virgins, Newshosting or Newsleechers. Either way i'm paying for Virgin who've already chopped speeds, and newshosting/ newsleecher is playing around and i'm paying 8 quid a month for that too. Shambles!

Might aswell go back to torrents.....

Help?
simosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2007, 14:11   #2
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB
Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack
Re: Newshosting / Newsleecher speeds unbearable with 4mb Virgin

Do a traceroute to your providers and see if there is any bad pings and e-mail your news provider/s and ask them what's wrong! I use Astraweb and have no problems on a 4mb connection.
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:14   #3
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

Doubt it's Newsleecher, I use it all the time and have no problems. More likely it's Newshosting, I use Giganews personally and never have any problems with the speed from them.
nemesis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:33   #4
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis01 View Post
Doubt it's Newsleecher, I use it all the time and have no problems. More likely it's Newshosting, I use Giganews personally and never have any problems with the speed from them.
I use Giganews as well, Newshosting are complete and utter crap even when you use there European server.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:39   #5
rossco555
Inactive

rossco555 will become famous soon enoughrossco555 will become famous soon enoughrossco555 will become famous soon enough

.If you can, create your download folder on a drive that is different to your Newsleecher install. I recently moved to Giganews and the download was so quick, the HDD was sruggling to keep up. Suggest you check out the Newsleecher forum, as loads of tips on there
rossco555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:45   #6
simosimo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I use Giganews as well, Newshosting are complete and utter crap even when you use there European server.
How much is giganews a month?

I pay 8ish quid for mine, unlimited downloads too
Old 01-11-2007, 17:53   #7
rossco555
Inactive

rossco555 will become famous soon enoughrossco555 will become famous soon enoughrossco555 will become famous soon enough

Its about six & a half quid per month for 25gb limit, It automatically rolls over if I go over the limit, but you get 10 conns and the ability to suspend the account if you go on your hols.

It ain't the cheapest...been there with Maximum Usenet.... but it just the best !

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

The link is here.....I use the Silver service..

https://secure.giganews.com/signup/

ps You can trial it for three days and d/l 10gb..if you don't like it...cancel
Old 01-11-2007, 17:54   #8
Sedan34
Inactive

Sedan34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by simosimo View Post
My speeds recently have been awful. I sometimes get my usual speed of 450-500kbs, but recently, most of my downloads have been inbetween 0kbs to 100kbs...it'll do that for a few minutes, then for about 10 seconds i'll get my speed, then slow again, it keeps fluctuating.

I dunno who's problem this is, either Virgins, Newshosting or Newsleechers. Either way i'm paying for Virgin who've already chopped speeds, and newshosting/ newsleecher is playing around and i'm paying 8 quid a month for that too. Shambles!

Might aswell go back to torrents.....

Help?

My Newshosting account been very slow at times recently tried wifes Giganews everything ok, will change to Giganews if no improvement soon.
Sedan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 20:32   #9
simosimo
Inactive

I'm on the giga-news 3 day trial. Things are better, I got full download speed for once download, now i'm trying another and im getting flucs between 175-300ish.

Still not perfect, but better than 0kbs!

I've cancelled my account with newshosting, I'll most likely sub with giganews once my newshosting account runs dry
Old 01-11-2007, 21:19   #10
rossco555
Inactive

Glad things are better.....However downloading between 4pm and midnight on Virgin is never plain sailing.

ps Read on another thread that 4meg being updated to 10meg during November, so that will help no doubt.
Old 01-11-2007, 23:04   #11
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

I use newshosting, 14 slots from US server nearly always 480+ When there is a problem from their end I open up another 14 slots on the Euro server and run them simultaneously 28 slots open.

ATM you can get away with 14 slots on the servers any more than this and you start to get restricted, well according to my m8, he was the one who mentioned to me to use 14 instead of 8.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:52   #12
Midnight Tboy
Inactive

Midnight Tboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on the 4mb line. I have used newshosting without problems for nearly 2 years with speed always around the 475k/sec mark with rare exception apart from the odd hiccup

However about 2 or 3 days ago the speed dropped and keeps bouncing like the others between about 60-120k.

I contacted newshosting who suggested run the trace route, and then to try some of the other ports. I tried port 9000 first instead of the usual 119 then hey presto I was getting 475k again no problem.

I contacted again saying it seems to be resolved, and he said that sometimes the isps can start trying to cap or block certain ports.

Now I've been out quite frequently the last few days so havent had much chance to sit and monitor, however the next morning when got back from halloween party, lo and behold I was getting the 60-120k again and by looks of it had been for majority of overnight.

I then changed to 7000 and again back to 480

Now this morning I got up, and yet again its back to slow speed. bumped it back to port 9000 and I'm on 480k.

Do you think NTL/Virgin are messing with us to deliberately p**s us off constantly blocking whatever port we're receiving a lot of traffic on each night for us heavy users?

just to add, all other downloading, ie web page, ftp and speed test sites all give the full speed at same time as the newsgroup ports are being a problem
Midnight Tboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:01   #13
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

its isnt a VM issue with the ports its a newshosting issue
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:21   #14
Midnight Tboy
Inactive

Midnight Tboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope that is the case. I'll be hating having to play cat and mouse with VM port changing each night if they did start that to keep my speed. It is odd though as I've never previously had this problem, so naturally worry kicks in especially with the way things always seem to be going t**s up since the virgin rebranding regarding STM

---------- Post added at 10:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

and just as I typed that using port 7000 it slowed down again (after internet briefly cut off for a cpl of minutes - seems to cut out once in while since I use USB now instead of ethernet connection since new pc only has the 1 other network port which is in use) - tried 9000 stil slow, this time using 23 and all is well again. The cutout I'm sure is probably random as normal, but more to make me wonder
Midnight Tboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:50   #15
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

other people around the world have to do it so it isnt a VM issue, its a peering issue newshosting has, the higher ports route thru different backbone providers to newshosting
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote