Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Modem problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Modem problem

Old 28-10-2007, 20:22   #1
m15hun
Inactive

m15hun is an unknown quantity at this point
Modem problem

Hi all,

I have an odd problem which has been ongoing:

My modem is hanging rather a lot. All the lights are functioning as usual yet after a short while all of them (including the send/receive) come on solid and the modem and my connection freezes. It appears to happen quicker(more predictably) when I use the connection.

As I'm sure you can imagine it's quite frustraing. I've been through to India a few time and they've tried to help, god bless 'em, but nothing's been done. Now I'm left to wait 4 days for an engineer visit and all this for the princely sum of £100 a month! Bargain.

Could anyone suggest anything?

(No firewall,No security software running, no sharing software, nothing untoward on the system, motorola surfboard modem, Virgin service in SS2 area, Essex)
m15hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2007, 12:19   #2
m15hun
Inactive

Re: Modem problem

No one have any ideas? I really am at my wits end.
Old 29-10-2007, 12:43   #3
r00t
Inactive

Services: Your pseudo 'tech' ego.
r00t has reached the bronze age
r00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze age

Post some modem stats, people will be more likely to offer help if they have some info to go on.
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 12:52   #4
Ernie_C

Services: Virgin Media Broadband M, TV XL, V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by m15hun View Post
(No firewall,No security software running, no sharing software, nothing untoward on the system, motorola surfboard modem, Virgin service in SS2 area, Essex)
Maybe the clue is in your own post?
Old 29-10-2007, 15:50   #5
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

You need to demand a new modem.
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 16:02   #6
r00t
Inactive

Services: Your pseudo 'tech' ego.
r00t has reached the bronze age
r00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
You need to demand a new modem.
Can I ask how you came about that as a resolve?
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 17:00   #7
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t View Post
Can I ask how you came about that as a resolve?
Modem freezing. Same thing happened to me. New modem resolved it.
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 17:15   #8
vmtec
Inactive

Services: now 50 mb bb,2v+ (pvr) 2 stb, and talk 24
vmtec is on a distinguished roadvmtec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m15hun View Post
Hi all,

I have an odd problem which has been ongoing:

My modem is hanging rather a lot. All the lights are functioning as usual yet after a short while all of them (including the send/receive) come on solid and the modem and my connection freezes. It appears to happen quicker(more predictably) when I use the connection.

As I'm sure you can imagine it's quite frustraing. I've been through to India a few time and they've tried to help, god bless 'em, but nothing's been done. Now I'm left to wait 4 days for an engineer visit and all this for the princely sum of £100 a month! Bargain.

Could anyone suggest anything?

are you using ethernet cable? ifso un plug everything in cluding the cable ethernet (if using one) and power cable for about 5 mins
will give chance to clear
once done screw cable back on then plug power cable back in and wait!!!!!!!!!
till you have the main three lights on your modem
when have all settlled then plug ethernet cable back in . that should solve if not a new one will be req!!!
vmtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 10:02   #9
m15hun
Inactive

First of all, thanks for your replies.

The reason I am running no specific security software at the present time is to eliminate software as a cause, nothing more.

I would post some stats but I'm unsure as to which stats you require?

I have tried unplugging the kit and leaving it a while, it temporarily resolved it then the problem reoccurred.

I was told I needed a new modem when the higher speed rolled out a while back, but things have been okay; I assumed (wrongly it would seem) that seeing as VM hadn't contacted me regarding it and I was having no immediate issue, that I should leave it as it was.
Old 31-10-2007, 16:39   #10
m15hun
Inactive

New modem installed now, 3 hours and no outages so far.