Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Beep-Beep-Beep?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Beep-Beep-Beep?

Old 24-10-2007, 14:59   #1
daveoc
Inactive

daveoc is on a distinguished roaddaveoc is on a distinguished road
Beep-Beep-Beep?

Picked up my phone and instead of a dial tone I'm getting beep-beep-beep.

Tried phoning and it works ok.

Spoke to faults and they say the line is fine and said it could be my voicemail. Trouble is I don't have voicemail and dialing 1571 confirmed it.

Tried a spare phone on the line and it's the same so not a problem with the phone.

Any ideas?

dave
daveoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2007, 15:48   #2
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: Beep-Beep-Beep?

I'd have suggested voice mail also. Unless you have another phone on the same line that has an answering machine? They can also do it.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 16:08   #3
daveoc
Inactive

Tried again. Still doing it but I've found out that if I let the beeps go on, after 20 seconds a pre-recorded message comes on saying ''sorry,you have dialed incorrectly''.

The beeps then change to a higher pitch but just carry on with no message coming up.

Blowed if I can figure out what it is

dave
Old 24-10-2007, 17:11   #4
spiderman2
Inactive

spiderman2 is on a distinguished roadspiderman2 is on a distinguished road

have u received any wrong calls since the day this beep beep sound started ??
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 17:57   #5
daveoc
Inactive

Not really a wrong call.

My Wife phoned lunchtime and I noticed the problem 10 minutes later when I went to make a call out.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Just liased with VM support via the usenet forum and they seem to think it's a tech job so we're sorting out a visit time.

To be fair I've had a cable phone for close to 20 years and this is the first time i've had any sort of problem.

dave
Old 27-10-2007, 11:23   #6
dave_dph
Inactive

dave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoc View Post
Not really a wrong call.
To be fair I've had a cable phone for close to 20 years and this is the first time i've had any sort of problem.

dave
Dave have you read my reply in virginmedia.support.telephony?

I post as BC.
dave_dph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 13:01   #7
daveoc
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dph View Post
Dave have you read my reply in virginmedia.support.telephony?

I post as BC.

Thanks Dave,

Just got in and tried what you said and posted answers back on thesupport.telephony.

Any ideas what could have caused this to happen.

The Virgin tech guys who were here yesterday, on an unrelated matter, were convinced it was nothing to do with this end of things.

Regards

Dave
Old 27-10-2007, 13:24   #8
dave_dph
Inactive

dave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Thanks Dave,

Any ideas what could have caused this to happen.

The Virgin tech guys who were here yesterday, on an unrelated matter, were convinced it was nothing to do with this end of things.

Regards

Dave
You have Call Barring active on your line and it appears to be premium rate numbers that are barred. I have posted the details of how to switch Call Barring off but it may be that premium rate numbers are barred free of charge, in which case you may not be able to switch the barring off with remote codes.
dave_dph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 13:43   #9
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Tried again. Still doing it but I've found out that if I let the beeps go on, after 20 seconds a pre-recorded message comes on saying ''sorry,you have dialed incorrectly''.

The beeps then change to a higher pitch but just carry on with no message coming up.

Blowed if I can figure out what it is

dave
I believe that's normal If left long enough It will then go to a howler (sounds like a siren going off) to try and alert you that the phones off the hook and eventually it will just go dead.

Well that's the case for BT anyway VM may be different.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 12:49   #10
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

if its a staggered dial tone as in tone....gap....tone.........gap this is quite normal and just means you have enhanced features on the line like call barring/answerphone
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 21:02   #11
PS1
Inactive

Services: FIRE,AMBULANCE AND POLICE
PS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Beep-Beep-Beep?

or maybe simply its just the road runner on the other end. beep beep!
PS1 is offline   Reply With Quote