Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hole in the wall

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hole in the wall

Old 13-10-2007, 16:00   #1
rayd
Inactive

rayd is an unknown quantity at this point
Hole in the wall

When I had cable broadband installed yesterday the installer had to run a cable from the downstairs box, outside, and go through the wall upstairs where I wanted it.

He drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the wall and inserted the cable, but he hasn't sealed the hole around the cable. I'm worried that water will get in through the gap. The cable is also pulled tight at a right angle where it comes out of the wall and goes horizontally to the side wall. There aren't any cable fixings for the couple of metres between the entry hole and the side wall. It's held by tension on the cable between the side wall fixing and the hole.

If it had been a DIY job, I would have sealed inside and out with silicon rubber. I would also have put a loop in the cable where it enters the building so that drips would have been trapped.

Or am I being too fussy and expecting too much?

Cheers,

Ray D
rayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2007, 16:18   #2
homealone

Re: Hole in the wall

My cables from outside come through rubber grommets & are looped, so I don't think you are expecting too much.

The decision is whether to make a fuss, or just squirt some silicone in there, yourself. By the sounds of the tension in the cable you won't be able to do anything about looping it, though.
Old 13-10-2007, 16:18   #3
morph178
Inactive

morph178 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where the cable comes into the house there should be a grommit, and then covered with silicon to seal it, call them up to get it sorted!
morph178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 16:41   #4
rayd
Inactive

You're joking - no grommit and no silicon rubber. Have a look at the attached picture (if I've got attachements to work).

This guy would have made a cowboy builder sqirm.

Cheers,

Ray D
Old 13-10-2007, 16:52   #5
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

thats just nasty,infact its crap...time to complain
Old 13-10-2007, 16:56   #6
morph178
Inactive

morph178 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayd View Post
You're joking - no grommit and no silicon rubber. Have a look at the attached picture (if I've got attachements to work).

This guy would have made a cowboy builder sqirm.

Cheers,

Ray D
Oh dear, looks like white Internal cable as well, you really need to get them back out to sort that!!
morph178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 16:56   #7
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

Old adage.........Pay peanuts, get monkeys
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 17:11   #8
rayd
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by morph178 View Post
Oh dear, looks like white Internal cable as well, you really need to get them back out to sort that!!
It is the same cable that he used for the link between the wall box and the modem.

It's also very badly pinned to the underside of the board holding the gutter - about 1 1/2 to 2 metres between clips and sagging.

Who do I complain to? There isn't a complaints option when you ring the 0845 454 1111 number.

Cheers,

Ray D
Old 13-10-2007, 17:27   #9
homealone

this is mine
Old 13-10-2007, 18:10   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
this is mine
Now THAT'S how it should be done
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 19:03   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayd View Post
Who do I complain to? There isn't a complaints option when you ring the 0845 454 1111 number.
Just ring customer services on that number.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 19:32   #12
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

If they had left mine like that I would complain as well
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 22:35   #13
Quam256
Inactive

Services: XL,Phone and 60mb .
Quam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by morph178 View Post

The cable will degrade quickly with the weather and sunlight.
Quam256 is offline   Reply With Quote