Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Possibly been cloned?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Possibly been cloned?
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 13:46   #1
brido bhoy
Inactive

brido bhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Possibly been cloned?

Hi all,

Do you think Virgin would be able to tell if I have had my modem cloned by someone? (Im on the XL, 20mb service)

For the past month I have constanly been capped at 5mb (max) between the hours of 4-12pm. I've tested this a few times and have come the conclusion that I have been cloned.

I switch the modem & router off at the wall before I go to bed and it stays off until I come home from work the following day, between 5-6pm. Fire up the modem, and bang nothing more than 5mb, when i would normally have around the 12mb mark before the last 4 weeks or so. My normal speeds after midnight jump right up to 18.5/19mb.

Just seem that I am always being traffic managed, even with going online for the first time that day
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2007, 13:57   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Possibly been cloned?

They would probably be able to tell if you complain and ask for it to be looked into.
Old 02-10-2007, 13:59   #3
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by brido bhoy View Post
Hi all,

Do you think Virgin would be able to tell if I have had my modem cloned by someone? (Im on the XL, 20mb service)
No.
Old 02-10-2007, 13:59   #4
Mrcon
Permanently Banned

Mrcon is an unknown quantity at this point

Unluckly, sounds like a clone
Old 02-10-2007, 14:31   #5
UncleBooBoo

Yip sounds like a clone to me too!

Best thing you can do is downgrade to a lower package instead of wasting money on something your never going to get!

Old 02-10-2007, 14:46   #6
Mrcon
Permanently Banned

Mrcon is an unknown quantity at this point

Its cheeky that you pay for something that someone else is enjoying!
Old 02-10-2007, 15:14   #7
Chicken
Inactive

Chicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud of

I'd unplug the modem and then phone and say its damaged and claim another with a different MAC.
Old 02-10-2007, 17:18   #8
UncleBooBoo

But then the mac will prob still get re cloned???

Obviously someone in his area is sniffing mac's and trading them! As he subscribes to the top tier he stands a high chance of getting cloned again!

Unless the cable company stand up and make some changes this type of thing is going to continue!

Rather than using macs, VM should look at using usernames and passwords as well as mac's! sort of like adsl!

Old 02-10-2007, 17:21   #9
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

if its jumping back up at midnight, it shouldnt be STM otherwise it'd jump at 4am surely?

i have found that speed tests with VM can vary wildly day to day and so previous results dont mean you'll get the same the next day.
Old 02-10-2007, 18:19   #10
iglu
cf.addict

iglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant future

It is getting very widespread now. They buy modded modems on ebay and swap MACs from one area to another, on many many forums....
Old 02-10-2007, 18:30   #11
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBooBoo View Post
...Obviously someone in his area is sniffing mac's ...
Can this be prevented? A sort of MAC-deodorant, perhaps?
Old 02-10-2007, 18:52   #12
UncleBooBoo

Something needs to be done, I just downloaded a program that sniffs macs and i have just got 38 macs with config files in my area!!! (took me seconds to google program and about ten minutes to get macs!)

I was connected on Saturday and I have probably been cloned and if not I bet my mac is on somebodies list!!!

VM should sit up and do something to make this harder if not impossible, it's crazy how easy this stuff is to do, there must be a way to prevent mac codes from being compromised like this?

And for the record I have deleted the mac's and I do not use a cloned modem neither do I steal any services from VM, I pay for mine!

Old 02-10-2007, 18:55   #13
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brido bhoy View Post
Hi all,

For the past month I have constanly been capped at 5mb (max) between the hours of 4-12pm. I've tested this a few times and have come the conclusion that I have been cloned.

I switch the modem & router off at the wall before I go to bed and it stays off until I come home from work the following day, between 5-6pm. Fire up the modem, and bang nothing more than 5mb, when i would normally have around the 12mb mark before the last 4 weeks or so. My normal speeds after midnight jump right up to 18.5/19mb.

Just seem that I am always being traffic managed, even with going online for the first time that day
Ahh......now your point about switching off your modem and router is interesting.

STM works at individual uBR level, and you can't have two identical modem MAC addresses on the same uBR getting traffic at the same time (so I've been told). That would seem to suggest its not a cloning issue, but some other VM fault. There again, it could be.

It may be possible of course that at 4 pm, somebody is hitting the thresholds, and your modem then kicks them off, but you then get STM'd. If that is the case, you need to call them as soon as you think you've been reduced, they can see it their end, and then you have something to shout about. I know that doesn't sound like the best thing right now, but you have to start somewhere. Perhaps a VM tech who writes here may contact you via a PM and sort you out.

Would VM tell you you've been cloned? Possibly not, but it could be a safe bet if they offered to change your modem.

Make some noise my friend, you never know what will fall out of the tree if you shake it hard enough.
Old 02-10-2007, 18:58   #14
UncleBooBoo

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Some good advice there! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hope you get it sorted!

Old 02-10-2007, 19:02   #15
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Ahh......now your point about switching off your modem and router is interesting.

STM works at individual uBR level, and you can't have two identical modem MAC addresses on the same uBR getting traffic at the same time (so I've been told). That would seem to suggest its not a cloning issue, but some other VM fault. There again, it could be.

It may be possible of course that at 4 pm, somebody is hitting the thresholds, and your modem then kicks them off, but you then get STM'd. If that is the case, you need to call them as soon as you think you've been reduced, they can see it their end, and then you have something to shout about. I know that doesn't sound like the best thing right now, but you have to start somewhere. Perhaps a VM tech who writes here may contact you via a PM and sort you out.

Would VM tell you you've been cloned? Possibly not, but it could be a safe bet if they offered to change your modem.

Make some noise my friend, you never know what will fall out of the tree if you shake it hard enough.

One thing i've noticed (from other people) that although having 2 exact same macs on one ubr shouldnt work, it does seem to (for upto 48 hours then boots them off)

It's quite possible for someone to be using your mac during the day and even hitting your threshold before you turn ur modem on then they swap to a different mac.

VM dont care about cloners so its very unlikely they will change your modem/give you a new mac.

Closed Thread