Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Just Turned Off Firewall ! Should I ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Just Turned Off Firewall ! Should I ?

Old 03-09-2007, 15:48   #1
paul11974
Inactive

Services: xl phone & xl tv 2mb broadband £34.95pence
paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light
Just Turned Off Firewall ! Should I ?

The net has been really slow for a day now so i have gone into the settings on my router and disabled the firewall. I still have pc guard on my pc should i go back and enable my firewall inside the router ?
paul11974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2007, 15:52   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Just Turned Off Firewall ! Should I ?

Is PC Guard a firewall? I dunno, I'm a Mac user.

One thing I do know is, you must have a firewall running on your machine or else it is in danger of getting taken over. If PC Guard is not a firewall, switch the router firewall back on immediately.

In fact, even if PC Guard is a firewall, you should have the router firewall on. Hardware firewalls are better.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 15:53   #3
paul11974
Inactive

paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah but is slowing my browsing down to a snails pace
Old 03-09-2007, 15:56   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I seriously doubt that the slow browsing you are experiencing is solely down to your router's firewall. If it is then that firewall is misconfigured.

My Internet connection on this machine is running through 2 routers (both firewalled) and a software firewall on the machine itself. I'm not getting any problems with speeds (other than the fact that the WoW downloads I'm getting at the moment are eating my bandwidth alive ).
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 15:59   #5
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

A router performs firewall like duties anyway, that's one of the added bonuses of NAT(network address translation), in that your PC is not visible from the internet. And the only things that can come from the outside are either a) applications/ports you have forwarded to you PC, or b) applications/ports your PC has instigated communication on.

The firewall on/off feature probably enables things like SPI(statefull packet inspection), and may also be able to detect and prevent SYN/DDOS attacks etc.

It's up to you in the end, however, if the router firewall is slowing internet access down then I would try and narrow it down to more than just toggleing the thing either on or off as it sounds more like a misconfiguation to me.. Does it have more configuration options, if so, try switching these on or off first.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 16:47   #6
paul11974
Inactive

have been using the router and the net with no problems for over a year but today the only thing that will speed my browsing up is to turn off the routers firewall
Old 03-09-2007, 16:49   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Then I'm guessing that either:

a) you've changed something on you computer, perhaps installed/upgraded a piece of software, or changed the way that it's working, or that
b) something has changed on your computer without you knowing, possibly spyware/malware, or something's updated/upgraded itself.

The third possibility is that your router is starting to fail, and the odd firewall related symptoms are the first signs of that - I would suggest it would be unusual for this to manifest itself in this way though.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 17:06   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul11974 View Post
Yeah but is slowing my browsing down to a snails pace
Are you saying your speed returned to normal after you disabled the firewall ?

If so, re-enable it and see if you slow down again, if you do, power the router off, wait a few seconds and power it on again. Routers sometimes need a reboot to clear out their memories.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 18:34   #9
paul11974
Inactive

thank you for all the replys and yes i have rebooted the router several times and have not installed anything new on the pc and have run ad aware spybot and cc clean
Old 03-09-2007, 18:46   #10
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

I'd be interested to know what type of router it is. I suspect that this may be the age old problem of ICMP being blocked on the WAN port
Old 03-09-2007, 19:08   #11
paul11974
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I'd be interested to know what type of router it is. I suspect that this may be the age old problem of ICMP being blocked on the WAN port

LINKSYS WRT 54G
Old 03-09-2007, 19:44   #12
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul11974 View Post
LINKSYS WRT 54G
Do you know the verision number ? should say near the serial number
Old 03-09-2007, 19:57   #13
paul11974
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Do you know the verision number ? should say near the serial number

ver 7.00
Old 03-09-2007, 20:18   #14
mrmistoffelees

Ok, done some digging not sure if the manual I have is for the same version. There should be however in the web filters section of the router something called block WAN request according to the manual this is enabled by default.

You need to disable this and then restart the router and then test again.

EDIT: I've attached the user manual, look at page 22
Old 03-09-2007, 22:30   #15
paul11974
Inactive

Block Anonymous Internet Requests
Filter Multicast
* Filter Internet NAT Redirection ( just have a tick in this one now ) *
Filter IDENT(Port 113)