Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Constant disconnections, help please!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Constant disconnections, help please!!

Old 01-09-2007, 00:26   #1
welshbhoy
Inactive

welshbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Constant disconnections, help please!!

Hi, I currently have an NTL 250 modem with a 20mb connection. I am running Win XP service pack 2.

My connection runs ok for a short while and then without warning pages cannot be displayed, mostly whilst downloading in the background. I have to turn the power off to the modem and then restart my PC, turning power back on to the modem to re-establish a connection. This happens more when I am downloading via torrents. I used to d/l up to 5 torrents at one time and everything would run ok. I now only d/l one torrent at a time and always limit the d/l speed to 250kbps, but it still disconnects.

I have contacted VM and the tech guy told me he can see I have had 26 disconnections in the past 2 months and that this is normal . NORMAL!!! what am I paying for?

It is really getting to me now, some days I have to reset up to 6 times. Tech support cannot explain or at least don't seem bothered being as it's normal behaviour.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar problem and maybe a remedy for it?
welshbhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2007, 09:42   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Constant disconnections, help please!!

It might be because your UBR is over subscribed but post your modems snr, upstream and downstream power levels in case you have a signal problem.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48   #3
welshbhoy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
It might be because your UBR is over subscribed but post your modems snr, upstream and downstream power levels in case you have a signal problem.

Thanks for the reply Mick

I think I may have fixed it. I had a look at my device manager and there was a yellow exclamation mark next to my ethernet card so I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them. I left the pc on with the torrent running at about 4am this morning and it's still connected.

I'm hoping that's it sorted keeping my fingers crossed.

How do I get to check my modems SNR ?? and the upstream and downstream levels anyway? I wouldn't' mind a look for curiosity's sake.
Old 01-09-2007, 13:47   #4
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
ow do I get to check my modems SNR ?? and the upstream and downstream levels anyway? I wouldn't' mind a look for curiosity's sake.
Type http://192.168.100.1/ in address bar

Use "root" for user & passsword to login.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 17:29   #5
welshbhoy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
Type http://192.168.100.1/ in address bar

Use "root" for user & passsword to login.

I'm sure that's going to make a lot of sense to someone, but me WHOOSHHHHHHHHH

An interpretation of that info would be nice

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 4 Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 38.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 3 Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
Old 01-09-2007, 19:05   #6
colirv
Inactive

colirv is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshbhoy View Post
An interpretation of that info would be nice
You open your browser (IE, Firefox, whatever) and in the space at the top where you type the URL of wherever your browsing to (e.g. http//www.thinkbroadband.com) you type "http://192.168.100.1/" and hit your return key. It'll come back and ask you for a username and password - both, as I understand it, are "root" (without the ").
colirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48   #7
dunno
cf.member

Services: 3x Tivo Full TV Package 120mb Broadband Phone
dunno is an unknown quantity at this point

hey welshboy just to let you know you are not the only one with that problem i am constantly losing connection and have to reboot modem
dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:51   #8
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 4 Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 38.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 3 Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
Your signals look OK!
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 13:02   #9
amateurfool
Inactive

Services: VirginMedia and proud of it.
amateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really nice

Quote:
This happens more when I am downloading via torrents. I used to d/l up to 5 torrents at one time and everything would run ok. I now only d/l one torrent at a time and always limit the d/l speed to 250kbps, but it still disconnects.
Try limiting your upload. Maxing your upload bandwidth will kill anything else you try to do, the upstream requests cannot get through.
amateurfool is offline   Reply With Quote