Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM to remove traffic shaping in September

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM to remove traffic shaping in September

Old 22-08-2007, 15:12   #1
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart
VM to remove traffic shaping in September

I had phone up virgin media tech support about my broadband was capped at 5Mb instead of 20Mb last night and they explain to me that VM does have traffic management because it still upgrading 20Mb speed area by area roll out, once it all completed by end of September, then the traffic management will be withdrawn and everything will be back to normal. It only do it because of trialing upgrade 20Mb and soon to be 50Mb next year.
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2007, 15:14   #2
LaineY
Inactive

Services: <V+ - XLTV - XLTelco - 20MB>
LaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the rough
Re: VM to remove traffic shaping in September

rofl... god knows where you got that info from.. as for the traffic management.. apparently its going to get worse "word from the inside"

although i like what they advised you better than what i "know" lol
LaineY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 15:18   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
I had phone up virgin media tech support about my broadband was capped at 5Mb instead of 20Mb last night and they explain to me that VM does have traffic management because it still upgrading 20Mb speed area by area roll out, once it all completed by end of September, then the traffic management will be withdrawn and everything will be back to normal. It only do it because of trialing upgrade 20Mb and soon to be 50Mb next year.
I'd take that with a large pinch of salt..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 15:27   #4
LaineY
Inactive

Services: <V+ - XLTV - XLTelco - 20MB>
LaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
better make that a cup of salt lmao :P
LaineY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 15:29   #5
xspeedyx

HAHAHAHAHA Doubt VM will do something that good
Old 22-08-2007, 15:38   #6
evilmonkey
Inactive

evilmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

trust me they will not be removing STM in the near future. If they did the network would fail in a matter of days with 20Mbit users downloading terabytes per month they would kill the bandwidth quickly. Remember each segment is only about 40Mbit/s as a link so when you get a handfull of 20Mbit users downloading continuously the load is far too high for that segment to handle. That was why they brought in the dual downstream frequencies (331 and 339Mhz) to try and increase the level of multiplexing but even that only goes so far!
evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 16:00   #7
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough

50 meg, good grief, get the 20 something like and i might try and work up some enthusiasm. [yawn].
Rone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 16:05   #8
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

More like a giant sized bucket of salt.

They wouldn't go to all the effort of trialling the STM if they didn't plan to use it long term.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 16:11   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

/sniffs air

/smells bovine excrement

/gags

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I choose to believe your call was answered by a busy little CSR who goes to creative writing classes in his spare time.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 16:48   #10
xspeedyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
/sniffs air

/smells bovine excrement

/gags

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I choose to believe your call was answered by a busy little CSR who goes to creative writing classes in his spare time.
LMAO
Old 22-08-2007, 16:53   #11
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
More like a truck load of salt

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 16:56   #12
amateurfool
Inactive

Services: VirginMedia and proud of it.
amateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle View Post
More like a truck load of salt
A salt mine perhaps
amateurfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 17:01   #13
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
*plugs in VM CSA to English Translation Box* <-- £7.99 from Bullshyte Detector Monthly

"blah-blah I'm bored talking to you now blah blah Get off the line I have some serious surfing to do blah blah My spotty teenage mate at the other desk says there's some new Jessica Alba beach romp flicks on YouTube blah blah And now I have a new splash-resistant keyboard and mouse nothing is stopping me blah blah Bye!"

Of course this is not a literal translation...
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 19:20   #14
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post

Are you suggesting that VM CSR's lie to customers?
I'm shocked at such an accusation

Actually, no, I'm not. I've been lied to before by CSRs.
They'll continue to say anything they can to keep us pesky customers from complaining too much.
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 20:04   #15
Fenlock
Inactive

Fenlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone View Post
50 meg, good grief, get the 20 something like and i might try and work up some enthusiasm. [yawn].
im all for more speed upgrades. the way i see it, if 20 megs currently running at 4, then 50mb should put me back to 10... roll on the 100MBXXXXXXL package so i can finaly get my 20MB that im paying for now.
Fenlock is offline   Reply With Quote