Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM 2meg Upload speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM 2meg Upload speeds

Old 12-08-2007, 18:52   #1
davey57
Inactive

davey57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation VM 2meg Upload speeds

Now, im not sure about this, so i thought id ask here before i do call them.

Anyways im on a 2mb connection & i download on average about 250kbps, but my upload speed stinks at a bismal 22kbps.

Is there any way i could have the upload speeds increased as i web design so i upload allot more than download? Some say you just have to call & ask them & they will increase it for you, but some say they charge more for that.

Any help?
davey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2007, 19:18   #2
scottyboydfc
Inactive

scottyboydfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VM 2meg Upload speeds

Id also be interested in this
scottyboydfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 19:25   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

The only way to get a higher upload speed on VM is to migrate to a more expensive tier, although even if you get 20meg (XL?) the upload is only a measly 728k (?) or thereabouts.
To get higher you will have to change to Be who do a service with a 2.5mb/s upload for about £40.00/month otherwise it's a business service you need to be looking at.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 19:34   #4
davey57
Inactive

davey57 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its about time ISP's start looking into not just Download speeds but upload speeds. More & more people are uploading music, movies & so forth to the web. I cant really afford to splash out on business packages, but upload speed is important to me aswell as download speeds.

I have a adsl connection by sky that is pothetic 32kbps download.. but i upload about 40-55kbps average, although the connection is free because im a full tv package holder, cant really complain. But if im so far away from the exchange for high speeds, how on earth can they out do the supposed super stream cable that is supposed to beat adsl hands down on performance every time?
davey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 19:50   #5
thechojin
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media,TV XL,Phone,20Mb BBi Sky+,BT
thechojin is an unknown quantity at this point

You got no chance davey57 as Mick said you will have to pay for a bigger package.
thechojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 10:52   #6
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

I host a server on my 4Mbps/0.4Mbps VM package and I get over 100,000 hits a day, no bandwidth problems here, average use is about 0.1Mbps with the odd peak to maximum.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 21:28   #7
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Looked at some of the cheaper ADSLs (TalkTalk, Sky 8Mb), and while the LINK upload speed seems to be 448Kb or similar, there seems to be a lot of complaints about poor usable upload speed.. 4KB instead of 40KB.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote