Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to change IP Address ??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How to change IP Address ??

Old 12-08-2007, 17:08   #1
pauljrog
Inactive

pauljrog is an unknown quantity at this point
How to change IP Address ??

Hi, i have a Virgin media broadband modem connected to a Netgear wireless router, i then have 2 laptops connected in a wireless network.
I need to change my IP address, can anyone help me to do this?
Thanks.
pauljrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2007, 17:16   #2
gaffer_gump

Services: NTL 20mb Broadband. BT phone line. Tv yeah it's in the corner.
Re: How to change IP Address ??

Some good tips here, post 19 works as I tried it

And to the forum
Old 12-08-2007, 17:48   #3
pauljrog
Inactive

Thanks for that info, i have downloaded the app.

Question is do i have to use that on both wireless laptops?, if both of the laptops are connected to the router at the same time how does the modem know which IP address to use?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2007, 17:51   #4
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

A bit of confusion here, methinks. The laptops each get their IP addresses ( something like 192.168.x.x) from the router. The router itself gets its IP address from Virgin. If you are trying to get a new 'external' IP address from Virgin, then you just need to change the MAC address of the router (ussually somewhere in the router settings).
Old 12-08-2007, 18:09   #5
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

My Striker Motherboard has two lan ports on it..if I change which one the ethernet cable is connected to, I get a different IP address. Ie. 78.xx.xx.xx on one and 82.xx.xx.xx on the other, so it is possible.
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 18:11   #6
JohnHorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirpingalot View Post
My Striker Motherboard has two lan ports on it..if I change which one the ethernet cable is connected to, I get a different IP address. Ie. 78.xx.xx.xx on one and 82.xx.xx.xx on the other, so it is possible.
I'd guess that is without a router?
Old 12-08-2007, 18:12   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Easiest way to do it with a router is to change the WAN Port's MAC Address on the router's settings by a digit
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 18:14   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Aren't MAC addresses supposed to be unique to the device? If we're changing our MAC addresses on a whim aren't we likely to cause conflicts with someone else's device somewhere along the line?

Or have I misunderstood?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 18:16   #9
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Aren't MAC addresses supposed to be unique to the device? If we're changing our MAC addresses on a whim aren't we likely to cause conflicts with someone else's device somewhere along the line?

Or have I misunderstood?
Supposed to be but aren't by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 12-08-2007, 18:17   #10
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
I'd guess that is without a router?
Yes, without a router.
Old 12-08-2007, 18:18   #11
JohnHorb

As I understand it (and am open to correction) the modem itself has an external MAC address and gets its own IP. These must not be tampered with (otherwise known as modem cloning). It is OK to change MAC addresses om local PCs and routers.
Old 12-08-2007, 18:18   #12
pauljrog
Inactive

Hi, i've gone into my netgear router details and there is an internet port MAC address and a LAN port MAC address?
I guess i change the last digit of the internet port MAC address by one digit?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2007, 18:19   #13
Sirpingalot
Inactive

My MAC always remains the same but my IP changes when I connect it to a different LAN port.
Old 12-08-2007, 18:20   #14
Graham M
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljrog View Post
Hi, i've gone into my netgear router details and there is an internet port MAC address and a LAN port MAC address?

Thanks.
Give it a go!
Old 12-08-2007, 18:27   #15
JohnHorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljrog View Post

Thanks.
Yup.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirpingalot View Post
My MAC always remains the same but my IP changes when I connect it to a different LAN port.
'cause each LAN port has its own MAC address.