Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Working Over 6 Hours With No Break

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Working Over 6 Hours With No Break

Old 06-08-2007, 18:48   #1
FV2007
Inactive

FV2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Working Over 6 Hours With No Break

I have fairly recently began a new job. I am at times required to work over 6 hours without a break.

I know this is illegal as the law states that for every 6 hours of work a 20 minute break is a minimum. I have attempted to raise the issue with my managers at work and they have been basicly on this issue unhelpful.

Who can I complain to officially about working more than 6 hours without a break? Thanks
FV2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2007, 18:59   #2
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Working Over 6 Hours With No Break

Do you have a union rep?
Old 06-08-2007, 19:13   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

You probably haven't got any chance in hell of getting anywhere with this.

If you can't get them to look after you at this point, and get them to look after your basic rights, then there's little hope for your future employment with them either.

Sorry mate, if I were you I'd have another go at discussing it internally (H&S rep, Manager, Manager's Manager), and then I'd start looking for a new job.

Good luck
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 20:34   #4
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

you can let the hse know... but your boss is going to cotton on when an inspector turns up!
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 20:46   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I'm going to have to report myself!
Old 06-08-2007, 20:54   #6
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I think standing meditation and holistic breathing is classed as at least a virtual tea break
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 23:08   #7
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

in todays employment market you are unlikely to get anywhere, you could grass the company up but you will likely be sacked for it so no personal gain other then revenge. The way they probably see it is anyone that maons can swiftly be replaced plenty of workers out there.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 23:19   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Six + hours of solid patience playing. I can do that
Old 07-08-2007, 00:50   #9
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Angry Re: Working Over 6 Hours With No Break

Obviously losing your job would suck, but if your employers aren't going to respect your rights under the law, they don't deserve to have you working for them. Report them and be damned - they're the ones breaking the law. Unfortunately you have to have worked at a place for a minimum of a year to claim unfair dismissal - which I have never agreed with because if the dismissal's unfair when you've been there a year, it's unfair from day one - but you might still be able to get legal aid of some sort, because they're clearly in the wrong.

Under the terms of the Health & Safety at Work Act (1974), it is not and cannot be a sacking offence to report an employer who is in breach of said Act. That's the whole point of the Act.

Stand up for your rights. Take a break when you're legally entitled to. If any manager objects, point out - loudly, so other staff can hear you and you've therefore got witnesses - your legal rights. If they still object, or threaten disciplinary action, tell them you'll take legal action if they do.

And take legal advice anyway; there are several solicitors these days who give free consultations about this sort of thing; a good bet is Fieldings Porter. I once had a git who tried to stiff me for three weeks' salary when my contract of employment clearly stated that a month's notice from either party was required - he tried to get away with paying me a week in lieu of notice. I went to Fieldings Porter; they said it was open-and-shut, and advised me to contact ACAS. I did. It never got to arbitration; I got the three weeks' salary they owed me. Net cost to me in legal fees: zip.

If for no other reason than your own self-respect, don't just let 'em get away with it. Despite everything Would-Be-Queen Thatcher, Major Disaster and Bliar have done to employment law, workers in this country still have rights. This is not the nineteenth century, whatever employers may think!

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Old 14-08-2007, 14:01   #10
FV2007
Inactive

FV2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reported. What will happen now?
FV2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 15:03   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Wait for your boss to sack you for any other reason apart from reporting him I suppose... then go for an industrial tribunal...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 15:08   #12
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Tricky thing is that when working in front of a PC/monitor health and safety say your are are supposed to take a break every hour or 2 - I can't remember what it was exactly but it was a ridiculuosly short period working in front of a VDU before requiring a break.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 15:12   #13
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r View Post
Tricky thing is that when working in front of a PC/monitor health and safety say your are are supposed to take a break every hour or 2 - I can't remember what it was exactly but it was a ridiculuosly short period working in front of a VDU before requiring a break.
However, they don't say that you have to be away from your job, as long as you don't do something VDU based in that "break time". Doesn't help much if your job is exclusively VDU based..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 15:22   #14
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
However, they don't say that you have to be away from your job, as long as you don't do something VDU based in that "break time". Doesn't help much if your job is exclusively VDU based..
What sit and look at the floor ?

I guess this is the only instance where smoking was able to drag me away from my desk.

To the OP were you told be at your post for 6 hours straight or were you too shy to ask for a break - I'm sure your employer didn't force you to do those hours straight. Reminds me of the first few days here... Too much work to do that I missed lunch for the first few days in a row.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 15:33   #15
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Surely it would have been easier for them to stick a new HDD in - it's cost them £20 or £30 quid but they'd keep their customer.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote