Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can't connect to internet using ethernet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can't connect to internet using ethernet

Old 19-07-2007, 20:27   #1
Hilan
Inactive

Hilan is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't connect to internet using ethernet

Hi all. am a newbie.

I am trying to help out my parents on the computer front. They currently have their Virgin Media Broadband set up to work via usb. This is causing two main problems. Their is only one usb port on the computer and so it is being taken up perm for the connection. i have checked the motherboard and there are no extra ports available.

Secondly, and more importantly, the operating system is ME and this is terrible for connectivity via usb it seems. Keeps dropping out unannounced and needing a modem reboot.

I thought I had found the solution in the fact that the computer has an ethernet card and the modem can also be connected like this. I tried it on my macbook and it worked a dream. However, when connecting up their pc to the modem via ethernet it won't connect. The green link lights are on however I can't bring up any web pages. I have tried pibging the modem and never get a response from it and cannot renew and release either. So, it seems they are not talking.

The ethernet card is a linksys lne100tx and the operating system is wndows ME.

Heylp!

Thanks
Hilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2007, 20:27   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Can't connect to internet using ethernet

have you rebooted the modem
Old 19-07-2007, 20:33   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You are probably going to have to delete whatever settings are in the computer for the USB connection. Once that is done, and assuming the ethernet card is active and with current drivers, and the connection is set to auto for eveything (including internet explorer's settings) reboot computer and modem, and assuming the ethernet only is now connected, all should work.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 20:45   #4
Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
You are probably going to have to delete whatever settings are in the computer for the USB connection.
Network connection wizard will help you achieve it.
Old 19-07-2007, 22:00   #5
Hilan
Inactive

Hilan is an unknown quantity at this point

Several times, to no avail. As said, hook in my macbook and it works a dream

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
have you rebooted the modem
Sorry, the above answer was for you, hit wrong button. Doh!

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
You are probably going to have to delete whatever settings are in the computer for the USB connection. Once that is done, and assuming the ethernet card is active and with current drivers, and the connection is set to auto for eveything (including internet explorer's settings) reboot computer and modem, and assuming the ethernet only is now connected, all should work.
Sounds promising. Could you talk me through in more detail?

How do I get rid of all USB settings and how do I set everything to automatic including IE?

Cheers

Hilan
Hilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 11:03   #6
macr59
Inactive

macr59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to put a damper on your theories. Check the minimum spec:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...s/minspec.html
macr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 12:15   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Those specs are irrelevant for Ethernet. Any OS released since 1998 by Microsoft includes the necessary support for broadband via Ethernet.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 12:29   #8
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr59 View Post
Sorry to put a damper on your theories. Check the minimum spec:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...s/minspec.html
I just this week setup VB Broadband on my mother-in-laws PC which has Windows ME, 64MB Ram, and I would guess something like a 40GB hard drive.
The VM setup CD obviously said the PC did not reach the required specs, so registered manually.

They were previously on non-VM/ntl dial-up, so I first had to clear all the dial up settings etc, then it worked fine.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 15:11   #9
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I just this week setup VB Broadband on my mother-in-laws PC which has Windows ME, 64MB Ram, and I would guess something like a 40GB hard drive.
Why dont you nip on Ebay or somewhere and get another stick of memory for that thing?Hell,even just doubling it would be an improvement
In fact, i have a couple of those old 64Mb sticks here that might be of use to you...pm me and we`ll find out if you want.You can have them if there any good for her old pc.

Your far less likely to get constant calls(like i used to) if she has a bit more RAM in the thing i reckon.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 12:44   #10
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Hi xpod,

I know it's a very old very slooooooooooow pc, it was so painful getting it going, but it's only temporary.
They haven't used it for about 1.5 to 2 years, and it's just to get them going.
I'm getting a new PC soon, and they are going to have my current one which must be 1000 times quicker!!!

Thanks for the offer
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 16:30   #11
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

have u got the right drivers installed for your ethernet ?

i couldnt connect to the internet after reinstalling windos xp, but after installing the drivers, it worked like a dream
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 21:08   #12
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Hi xpod,

I know it's a very old very slooooooooooow pc, it was so painful getting it going, but it's only temporary.
They haven't used it for about 1.5 to 2 years, and it's just to get them going.
I'm getting a new PC soon, and they are going to have my current one which must be 1000 times quicker!!!

Thanks for the offer
Nae problem
It only lies in a tub doing nothing so i wouldn`t have missed it.

Better yet mind you i could have sent you an even better operating system for the thing......one that would have run extremely well on their meager 64Mb
You could always just dl that yourself too though mind you....oh well.

Sorry cant help myself
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 21:30   #13
vmtech
Inactive

Services: 20Mb broadband Sky tv
vmtech is an unknown quantity at this point

ok is the pc light on when you connect it to the pc?
vmtech is offline   Reply With Quote