Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20mb via USB ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20mb via USB ?

Old 17-07-2007, 10:31   #1
Grewer9
Inactive

Services: The Lot, VIP account
Grewer9 is on a distinguished roadGrewer9 is on a distinguished road
20mb via USB ?

I currently subscribe to the 20mb broadband, but connect the ethernet cable from the modem to my PC (laptop) via USB adaptor. Will this method of connection have any issues to why I never seem to receive over 5mb ?
I've tried to connect the ethernet cable directly, but it won't work....maybe need an ethernet card in the PC ??
Grewer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2007, 10:34   #2
Tijer
Inactive

Services: SKY TV, Phone, Internet Xbox 360, PS3, PSP
Tijer will become famous soon enoughTijer will become famous soon enoughTijer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Tijer Send a message via AIM to Tijer Send a message via MSN to Tijer Send a message via Yahoo to Tijer
Re: 20mb via USB ?

id suggest you get an N.I.C for your computer, as do virgin now, USB cannot support the speeds that ethernet can, and N.I.C (ethernet cards) are pretty cheap these days!
Tijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 10:39   #3
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewer9 View Post
I currently subscribe to the 20mb broadband, but connect the ethernet cable from the modem to my PC (laptop) via USB adaptor. Will this method of connection have any issues to why I never seem to receive over 5mb ?
I've tried to connect the ethernet cable directly, but it won't work....maybe need an ethernet card in the PC ??
Yes, you basically can't get the bandwidth through the USB connection, as Tijer suggest, you need an Ethernet connection from your modem to your PC.

I believe that USB 1.1 only has a 5Mb bandwidth through put, so if you are having problems getting above 5Mb, that could well be the reason.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 10:45   #4
anduin
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD, 100mb VM cable, Virgin Phoneline
anduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about them

OP is using a laptop, surely the laptop has an ethernet port on it?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 10:49   #5
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

How do you plug an ethernet cable into a USB port?
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 11:01   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipewter View Post
How do you plug an ethernet cable into a USB port?
By using an adaptor, but that doesn't solve the problem because you are still ultimately connecting via USB rather than ethernet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anduin View Post
OP is using a laptop, surely the laptop has an ethernet port on it?
Don't bet on it, loads of low-end consumer laptops used to ship sans ethernet. Less common these days but far from unheard of.

The OP might be able to get round this if his laptop has a PCMCIA slot, into which he could slot an ethernet adaptor ... if he has a PCMCIA slot.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 11:19   #7
Grewer9
Inactive

My PC is an old Siemens Fujitsu model...there is both PCMCIA slot (was used for wireless adaptor, but no longer so now is free) and an ethernet socket outlet.
I'm guessing that simply because there is an ethernet outlet on the machine, it doesn't nescessarily mean that there is a card built in ?

The PCMCIA adaptor sounds favourite, no need for internal fitting. I presume that the ethernet cable would plug directly into the card adaptor, then into my machine ?

Thanks for the responses guys....

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Is this the type of thing required ?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ERNET&doy=17m7

If this got the connection working well, would any other configurations need changing...ie. internet connections internally ?
Old 17-07-2007, 11:33   #8
EzBeanz
Inactive

EzBeanz is an unknown quantity at this point

a USB 2.0 port can transfer @ 480mbps
EzBeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 11:34   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
My PC is an old Siemens Fujitsu model...there is both PCMCIA slot (was used for wireless adaptor, but no longer so now is free) and an ethernet socket outlet.
I'm guessing that simply because there is an ethernet outlet on the machine, it doesn't nescessarily mean that there is a card built in ?

The PCMCIA adaptor sounds favourite, no need for internal fitting. I presume that the ethernet cable would plug directly into the card adaptor, then into my machine ?

Thanks for the responses guys....

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Is this the type of thing required ?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ERNET&doy=17m7

If this got the connection working well, would any other configurations need changing...ie. internet connections internally ?
I don't know for certain but I'd have thought if the e-net socket is there, it's probably active. Plug into it and see.

If you do need a card for the PCMCIA slot, then the one you linked to looks like it'll do the job.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 11:38   #10
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzBeanz View Post
a USB 2.0 port can transfer @ 480mbps
I didn't think the SACM's were USB2 though were they?
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 11:50   #11
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipewter View Post
I didn't think the SACM's were USB2 though were they?
Nope, USB1.1 @ 11mbps. (Or so the readout from Docsdiag tells me)
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 12:09   #12
rtj70
Inactive

rtj70 is on a distinguished roadrtj70 is on a distinguished road

The ethernet socket on the Fujitsu Siemens laptop will be just fine. No need for a PCMCIA adapter.

When one comment suggest and ethernet adapter they will have assumed you had a desktop PC without ethernet. Most laptops have had ethernet built in for many years now.
rtj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 12:14   #13
Grewer9
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj70 View Post
The ethernet socket on the Fujitsu Siemens laptop will be just fine. No need for a PCMCIA adapter.

When one comment suggest and ethernet adapter they will have assumed you had a desktop PC without ethernet. Most laptops have had ethernet built in for many years now.
Attached is a data sheet for my PC. I can't see ethernet as a port option, but it does state LAN & modem..same thing perhaps ?

Thanks for all the help so far...
Old 17-07-2007, 12:30   #14
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Attached is a data sheet for my PC. I can't see ethernet as a port option, but it does state LAN & modem..same thing perhaps ?

Thanks for all the help so far...
Yep, the modem/LAN combo, the LAN will be Ethernet
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 12:38   #15
Grewer9
Inactive

I've previously tried plugging the cable directly into this port, but with no joy. Is it also nescessary to alter any of the computer settings to accept this connection ?