Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Online gamer needing urgent help regarding upstream channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Online gamer needing urgent help regarding upstream channels

Old 14-07-2007, 16:33   #1
J.D
Inactive

Services: 10 Meg and 24/7 calls
J.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really nice
Online gamer needing urgent help regarding upstream channels

Hi CF .

I've been starting to feel lag and a little higher pings than usual the last 4 weeks and I started to look at my upstream channels for my Motorola SurfBoard 5100 modem. I noticed I can change between the three of them and they give out different frequencies.

I was wondering if their is someone who understands the frequencies could advise me on the best one to pick as I want my online gaming experience in Call of Duty to be as sharp as I can get it. I'm very competitive and would like to be as stable as possible so I can stop worrying what is the best channel to choose for the best performance.

The picture with the 49dBmV level was just a spike btw. It's usually on 47dBmV.

Channel1

Channel 2

Channel 3

Thank you for any feedback at all on this as I'm stumped.
J.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-07-2007, 16:43   #2
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future
Re: Online gamer needing urgent help regarding upstream channels

Try all of them and see which one is the best for you!
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 16:51   #3
J.D
Inactive

J.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really nice

Thank you for the reply .

I tried the first and third and the ping was the same.

The thing is that when you are playing against other people you have got so many variables that could effect the speed of movement (different ISP, CPU, Gfx card, Ram, Network card, router, different country) so it is hard to be able to tell, especially if the ping is the same.

That's why I'd like to know what one is better?. Channel 1 the frequency is the lowest, channel 2 is a little bit higher and channel 3 is the highest in frequency. I haven't got the slightest clue to what's the best.
Old 14-07-2007, 17:05   #4
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Im guessing that it would be number three. But im only 12 years old and i dont know frequencys (cant spell it either!) but im guessin its no.3

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Ive found a forum on frequencies, it might not help:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r183...equency-levels

If it dosnt work just look 'modem frequencies' up on google
Old 14-07-2007, 17:43   #5
r00t
Inactive

Services: Your pseudo 'tech' ego.
r00t has reached the bronze age
r00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze age

That option within your modem config page is a defunct one, the upstream channel is set at the uBR.
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 17:47   #6
J.D
Inactive

Thank you Root .

So even though they are showing up as changed on my side they are all the same and Virgin control that?.
Old 14-07-2007, 18:03   #7
r00t
Inactive

Services: Your pseudo 'tech' ego.
r00t has reached the bronze age
r00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze age

Thats right J.D
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 18:08   #8
J.D
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t View Post

Thats right J.D
Nice one .
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I have a fight night tonight and that's one less thing I have to worry about. All my kills tonight will be in your honour .

If I keep getting hiccups when it comes to gaming I'll see what BE is like. If it's the same or worse then I'll keep my Virgin service as I don't have anything else to complain about other than the erratic pings and lag during peak hours.

Also thank you Callumpy for helping me out too.
Old 15-07-2007, 10:20   #9
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Your Welcome, even though my help was rubbish compared r00t.
Old 15-07-2007, 11:03   #10
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

Yeah, I hate it when there are variables..it's just something to fiddle with and very often, messing about wont result in an improved connection.
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote