Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Urgent help - new BB customer doesnt need installing??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Urgent help - new BB customer doesnt need installing??

Old 03-07-2007, 16:34   #1
Exulus
Inactive

Exulus is an unknown quantity at this point
Urgent help - new BB customer doesnt need installing??

Hi guys,

Im typing from a net cafe. Please replay asap. We have moved into a new house and there is a cable modem already there from the previous tennants, it even gives us a viable internet ip address, we can ping any site we wish however it wont allow us to actually visit the site as the DNS server seems to be internal (194.something?). 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know a way of getting this to work in the meantime?

2) The lady on the phone says even though everything is physically there we still need an engineer to come round to "install" it, i think this is a load of crap! Surely they can just activate it from their end?! Could i phone up and complain? I really need the net access this week. I dont see why i need an engineer to come round and go "yep, its all there already" and have to pay for him to do so.

Please help asap as i have to go soon! Thanks. (this is a repost from the DS forum but i hope you get the jist ).
Exulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2007, 17:06   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Urgent help - new BB customer doesnt need installing??

VM are not going to reactivate a modem without your having been subscribed to it. Normally that does involve a site visit as you would get a new modem, not an old one (that you might not even know if it was properly connected)
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 17:57   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Maybe they need to know that it is a legitimate modem that is going to be in use and not something that someone has "attained".
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 19:26   #4
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

Better off getting them out to make sure all is fine. You will get a new modem and as you will be a new customer i don't think you will have to pay for an install unless they have already told you they are going to charge you.
Pedro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 16:11   #5
morph178
Inactive

morph178 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exulus View Post
Hi guys,

Im typing from a net cafe. Please replay asap. We have moved into a new house and there is a cable modem already there from the previous tennants, it even gives us a viable internet ip address, we can ping any site we wish however it wont allow us to actually visit the site as the DNS server seems to be internal (194.something?). 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know a way of getting this to work in the meantime?

2) The lady on the phone says even though everything is physically there we still need an engineer to come round to "install" it, i think this is a load of crap! Surely they can just activate it from their end?! Could i phone up and complain? I really need the net access this week. I dont see why i need an engineer to come round and go "yep, its all there already" and have to pay for him to do so.

Please help asap as i have to go soon! Thanks. (this is a repost from the DS forum but i hope you get the jist ).
You could always go for the quickstart option (if it's available in your area), they post a modem out to you, you hook it up and get it activated.
morph178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 17:01   #6
Exulus
Inactive

Cheers guys.

Well, it certainly is a legit modem as the old tennants left it here as they were subscribed to VM...dont know why someone didnt come to pick it up though? Then again VM haven't come to pick up our one at our old house yet! (or if ever). No idea about quickstart but i received a letter from VM today with username and PIN. Ah well, living without the internet is not much fun!
Old 04-07-2007, 19:46   #7
morph178
Inactive

morph178 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exulus View Post
Cheers guys.

No idea about quickstart but i received a letter from VM today with username and PIN. Ah well, living without the internet is not much fun!
Have a read at this... http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...uickstart.html
morph178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 16:08   #8
Exulus
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by morph178 View Post
Interesting...thanks. I may give VM a call and see if they will allow me to do this.

I have the pin number, username, and serial number. I also know the website i need to go to and it DOES work at home (http://autoreg.autoregister.net ...i've had to do it many times before on NTL) and so i could technically just do it now..but i dont want to bugger anything up just incase :s