Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hmm someone managed to get a hold of my credit card #

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hmm someone managed to get a hold of my credit card #

Old 08-06-2007, 20:27   #1
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age
Hmm someone managed to get a hold of my credit card #

Had a call from Egg's fraud department asking me to call them
Only just got it

So while on hold, I logged into my Egg card account and was rather suprised to see a warning saying i'd gone over my limit

Checking the recent transactions revealed this rather frightning sight

05 Jun 2007 SMARTSTAMP 08456001334 £100.00

05 Jun 2007 SMARTSTAMP 08456001334 £40.00

05 Jun 2007 SMARTSTAMP 08456001334 £50.00

05 Jun 2007 SMARTSTAMP 08456001334 £200.00

05 Jun 2007 SMARTSTAMP 08456001334 £200.00

So while on the phone, the account was blocked and he read off a list of "attempted" transactions which they'd blocked/declined, which were in the hundreds of pounds

All the details have been passed to their security team, who'll get back to me asap.

Scary stuff.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2007, 20:34   #2
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hmm someone managed to get a hold of my credit card #

to Egg for noticing the irregular spending pattern and contacting you.

Make sure you get a replacement card from Egg. You might want to arrange getting some cash whilst you're waiting for the new card, unless you have another account you can use in the meantime.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:37   #3
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Yea, I'm impressed with Egg, they noticed it the day it started happening
But because our damn bulldog phone line was playing up, we didn't get their calls
And yes, they're sending out a replacement credit card and a new account to login with
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:41   #4
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

I hope other banks follow this example.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:42   #5
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Some already do.... well building societies
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 21:09   #6
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

do you use the card online? I'm wondering if a PC you use has been hacked or something.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 21:10   #7
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

I'm with Egg to and I must say their fraud alertness is 2nd to none.
Old 08-06-2007, 21:20   #8
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

FYI: Smartstamp
Old 08-06-2007, 21:22   #9
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

Put the phone number in google and it came up with Royal Mail's SmartStamp (whatever that is)
Quote:
This number is for technical enquiries and account/refund enquiries for SmartStamp
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...ediaId=5400002

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
damn you lsainsbury, beat me to it
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 21:24   #10
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
Perhaps they were using it to send out spam mail?

Reminds me of a joke :

"I had my credit card stolen last week - I havent reported it, they're spending less than the wife does".

Wonder how they got the details? thought most (all?) online retailers asked for the security code on the back of the card these days - which would mean they could have got them from your pc?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 21:27   #11
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
Perhaps they were using it to send out spam mail?
I was wondering about why they bought stamps. Then I saw this in Noknowledge's quote:

Quote:
This number is for technical enquiries and account/refund enquiries for SmartStamp
Perhaps they try to buy stamps only to get them refunded?
Old 08-06-2007, 21:33   #12
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
I was wondering about why they bought stamps. Then I saw this in Noknowledge's quote:

Perhaps they try to buy stamps only to get them refunded?
Hmm.. but I thought they had to refund to the same card that purchased them, since otherwise it leaves them open for money laundering.
Old 08-06-2007, 21:36   #13
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post
damn you lsainsbury, beat me to it
LOL!

Thats a shed load of stamps!
Old 08-06-2007, 21:39   #14
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
Hmm.. but I thought they had to refund to the same card that purchased them, since otherwise it leaves them open for money laundering.
Yes, that does sound the most sensible. But £600 worth of smart stamps (which I believe expire within days)? Sounds weird. Unless they think they can convert them back to money.
Old 08-06-2007, 21:52   #15
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Yes, that does sound the most sensible. But £600 worth of smart stamps (which I believe expire within days)? Sounds weird. Unless they think they can convert them back to money.
Maybe they were trying to do human trafficing on the cheap.