Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | contention ratio

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

contention ratio

Old 14-05-2007, 11:46   #1
mam
Inactive

mam is an unknown quantity at this point
contention ratio

Hello I'm Mike and this is my first thread.

I recently transfered from Bt B/B to Vigin,their 10mb service.

Like most ISP's download speed varies depending on the time of day,how busy the servers are etc etc.

So I have been informed,this is due to contention ratio .

It is possible for Virgin Media to adjust the contention ratio in my favour.If they can not,is there anything I can do.

Pc specs....

Due Core 6600 2.5gz 2mb of ram xp media edition.

Thank you fro taking the time to read my very first thread.

Cheers,Mike
mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2007, 11:55   #2
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: contention ratio

Hi and welcome to the site .The contention ratio is down to the number if you on the ubr and which card you are on .I am afaraid if there is a problem you have to wait untils they do a reseg on the ubr to balance the load on the card / ubr .It can take them a while to do this so all i can say is to hang in there
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 23:17   #3
mam
Inactive

mam is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: contention ratio

Hello Nedkelly,thanks for your reply.If you don't mind could you please explain....ubr, which card and reseg.Cheers
mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 08:32   #4
EssDee
cf.addict

Services: VIP120 with TiVo
EssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really nice
Re: contention ratio

UBR - Universal broadband router - a router within the Virgin network that numerous customers in your area connect to for onward connection to the internet. These consist of multiple cards that should be equally utilised so that the load is shared.
Reseg - Resegmentation is the process of changing connections around at the UBR to better balance connections to improve performance. From what I understand, not something that happens too often.

The above is what I have picked up from the informed members of this forum. If I am way off, somebody will say. Hope it helps anyway.

Cheers
EssDee is offline   Reply With Quote