Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Throttling?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Throttling?

Old 24-04-2007, 22:19   #1
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era
Throttling?

Hi,

Do Virgin impose throttling on heavy users of the cable service? Coming from Tiscali, who were VERY strict on even remotely heavy users, I've become very cautious of what I download.

And if so, is it after x amount of data is downloaded, or is it the amount of time spent downloading, e.g. 20 minutes?

Anything over 250mByte a day, and I'm afraid to use my connection for fear of being throttled to a much slower rate, but then, you might argue, what's the point of having the connection if you're not going to use it?

Thanks,

Michael
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2007, 22:32   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Throttling?

You may want to do a search of the forum for traffic shaping or throttling as there are severla threads running on the subject that can answer any of the questions you asked
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 22:36   #3
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

Michael;

I wouldn't concern yourself about throttling (reduced bandwidth) on the cable network. In order for that to happen to you would have to download a darn sight more than 250Mb per day.

Admittedly in my area (Blackpool) throttling does go on, but it's only at certain times of the day and only on the "big" down loaders. Anyway, If you read the VM's terms and conditions it will give you an indication of what is acceptable.

You're worrying too much - there's no need, just enjoy the service

Virgin Media 1 - Tiscali 0

Si thee
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 23:04   #4
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough

Giving Tiscali 0 is probably over doing it.
Rone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 23:06   #5
thepcwizard
Inactive

Services: Shared with "Sirpingalot" - 10mb/s Vm broadband, Freeview. Xbox 360 Live
thepcwizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Michael;

Any bb service is unpredicatable in the speeds it does. One second its 200 kbp/s the other its 10 mb/s.
thepcwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 23:09   #6
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Tiscali make me laugh! They have a FUP where u cannot use P2P much during peak time, otherwise u get warnings. [3 and u are out!]. But ur internet barely works [about 90kbps? during peak hours], so how could they possibly give u a warning for using too much bandwith??? Its ridiculous. Since u are offered a MAC code and are allowed to leave on the 3rd warning even if u are inside the contract period, i know people that purposely hammer [lol? 50KB/s max?] their connection to get their 3 warnings and leave early!
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 23:14   #7
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

Is this possible? I'm still connected. Think I have 2 warnings. BitTorrent for Tiscali!
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote