Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Two jobs advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Two jobs advice

Old 23-03-2007, 15:20   #1
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society
Two jobs advice

Currently I work for Blockbusters and they are dropping everyones hours. I cant afford the drop I am getting so i am looking to grab a extra couple of shifts at another shop.

In our Blockbusters we have a concessions store which is Gamestation. I have gotten on well with all the Gamestation staff and been told hours are available.

Now since Blockbusters own Gamestation should there be any problems with me working with Gamestation and can i get fired if i did take a job at Gamestation. I am past my probation period at Blockbusters so not on trial either.

Should there be any problems?

Cheers
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-03-2007, 15:27   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Two jobs advice

Why don't you speak to your line manager, explain the situation and ask him/her?
Old 23-03-2007, 15:28   #3
Central

Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Why don't you speak to your line manager, explain the situation and ask him/her?
I have and they said they had got to talk to the regional manager but still not heard nothing back and i need the hours now.
Old 23-03-2007, 15:30   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

They can't fire you for taking a second job
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 15:31   #5
Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
They can't fire you for taking a second job
Even if its with the same company as such
Old 23-03-2007, 15:32   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

The only problem you will face is that you will be paying Emergency tax on your second income
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 15:32   #7
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be* View Post
I have and they said they had got to talk to the regional manager but still not heard nothing back and i need the hours now.
Seeing you've already asked I would prod your manager (explaining the situation). It won't look good if you simply go ahead and take the job after they said they'd get back at you. Having said that, I don't think they can stop you getting another job. I just think it's best to keep it above board.
Old 23-03-2007, 15:34   #8
Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
The only problem you will face is that you will be paying Emergency tax on your second income

Yeah I know but the extra money will still come in handy. See its either get a second part time job or leave Blockbusters for a full time job. I don't want to leave Blockbusters as its a job I love so much.
Old 23-03-2007, 15:36   #9
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all

Quote:
Yeah I know but the extra money will still come in handy. See its either get a second part time job or leave Blockbusters for a full time job. I don't want to leave Blockbusters as its a job I love so much.
Gamestation is a different company so it matters not that they are based within Blockbusters.
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 15:37   #10
Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Gamestation is a different company so it matters not that they are based within Blockbusters.
Blockbusters own Gamestation
Old 23-03-2007, 15:41   #11
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

also, check your contract and see what it says...
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 15:48   #12
Central

Manager has basically told me no as if they need me to cover someone at blockbusters and I am working at gamestation the I cant do it.
Old 23-03-2007, 15:51   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Manager has basically told me no as if they need me to cover someone at blockbusters and I am working at gamestation the I cant do it.
How many hours do you work at Blockbusters?
Old 23-03-2007, 15:55   #14
Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
How many hours do you work at Blockbusters?
Only got contracted for 10 while i was on trial. Got told after the trial I would get a 20 hour contract whoich would of suited me fine and I could work around my partners hours as we have a baby.

I have been off my trial period for about 3-4 weeks now and when asked about the extra hours got told no as Blockbusters are cutting shifts. So i am left with a 10 hour contract which is no good to me but I want to work.
Old 23-03-2007, 15:57   #15
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all

Quote:
Blockbusters own Gamestation
I wasn't aware of that.

If they say no then it looks like you will have to look for another job I'm afraid.

It's never easy leaving a job you like because you need more money. I've been there.
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote