Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Internet speed

Old 16-03-2007, 22:20   #1
shadyrome
Inactive

shadyrome is an unknown quantity at this point
Internet speed

Hi, I live in the north west, Warrington. currently i am with virgin media iav been with telewest for 4years now. iav got 4mb broadband but i keep getting 310kb at max but in the morning i get over 1mb kb per sec for some reason. can someone explain thanks.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

anyone :S
shadyrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2007, 22:47   #2
Locky
Permanently Banned

Locky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friends
Re: Internet speed

sorry but i dont understand what you have type can u please rephrase it and maybe i/someone can help
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 22:51   #3
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

At peak times they get 310kbps, at non-peak times they get 1mbps.

Sounds like there is a congestion problem in your area i'm afraid, unless someone else could diagnose...
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 22:53   #4
EdwardTobia
Inactive

EdwardTobia is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyrome View Post
Hi, I live in the north west, Warrington. currently i am with virgin media iav been with telewest for 4years now. iav got 4mb broadband but i keep getting 310kb at max but in the morning i get over 1mb kb per sec for some reason. can someone explain thanks.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

anyone :S
are you on the cable option? or the ADSL option?
EdwardTobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 23:08   #5
shadyrome
Inactive

cable.
Old 17-03-2007, 00:06   #6
Benson
Inactive

Benson is on a distinguished roadBenson is on a distinguished road

From what i can gather Warrington through to blackpool at non peak times are getting dble there normal speeds.Maybe this is testing for the rollout of xl going to 20mb and L going to 10mb etc.....

I myself am on 10mb and off peak times i am also downloading at double speed of around 2100kbs and at peak times it drops back down.

Just my theory
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 00:58   #7
shadyrome
Inactive

yea but my normal speed is 480k since its 4mb broadband. and the max is at 320kb at 3pm to 9pm for some reason
Old 17-03-2007, 01:31   #8
Hex
Inactive

Services: VM(Ex-NTL): 20Mbit/Ambit250, TV & Phone
Hex will become famous soon enoughHex will become famous soon enoughHex will become famous soon enough

480k to 320k is not exactly a big drop during peak hours, you just have to realise that far more people use the internet during those hours, kids getting home from school, adults from work and so-on, so it will slow down somewhat due to increased loads. Some people suffer far worse speed drops than yours.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 02:01   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

kb or kB?

4mbps Broadband = (roughly) 500 kBps

480 kBps dropping to 320 kBps...

... or 480 kBps dropping to 320 kbps?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 02:12   #10
shadyrome
Inactive

kb/sec, yea but this never happen before why is it happening now? is it because they are upgrading the internet 4mb to 10mb? i get 10mb bb in the morning
Old 17-03-2007, 04:33   #11
twinkle
Inactive

twinkle has some notorietytwinkle has some notorietytwinkle has some notorietytwinkle has some notoriety

always got me 10 meg .answer to question now ,virgin **** .me gone soon already ditched tv .just a question of time .ntl`s upstream is so demic it makes me cry .a tenth of any you purport to give .10 meg should be 1 meg up
twinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 05:14   #12
deakin
cf.addict

deakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyrome View Post
kb/sec, yea but this never happen before why is it happening now? is it because they are upgrading the internet 4mb to 10mb? i get 10mb bb in the morning
Shady, How can you get 10Mb in the morning when you only have a 4Mb connection ? did you mean to say you get the full 4Mb in the morning ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
always got me 10 meg .answer to question now ,virgin **** .me gone soon already ditched tv .just a question of time .ntl`s upstream is so demic it makes me cry .a tenth of any you purport to give .10 meg should be 1 meg up
Really helpfull reply there twinkle, if you can't help don't be part of the problem by posting your own virgin rant.
deakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 08:57   #13
jkat
Inactive

jkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud ofjkat has much to be proud of

i live in the northwest not far from warrington and my 2mb connection has been stable all this week.
jkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 10:36   #14
jerryl
Inactive

jerryl is an unknown quantity at this point

ring up virgin media technicians and try and find out if its congested UBR or your cable modem.
i used to get really slow internet and high latency issues at all times, i couldnt do anything apart from sit and wait...last wednesday it all got fixed and i get max download and low ping at all times.....
jerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 10:58   #15
shadyrome
Inactive

deakin, i am downloading at 1.20mb per sec right now from gamershell. but at peak time i get 320kb