Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telephone Loudspeaker

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telephone Loudspeaker

Old 15-03-2007, 18:32   #1
Rossua
Inactive

Rossua is an unknown quantity at this point
Telephone Loudspeaker

Hi, I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone can advise me regarding the following query.

I am wondering if it is possible to get a speaker attachment for a standard landline telephone (eg I have a PhoneMark PM6001 with Virgin Media (formerly Telewest)), which can be plugged into the phone to allow it to still be heard whilst walking around the room or even leaving the room altogether.

This may sound like a strange request, however it would be VERY useful for
waiting on hold on a telephone customer service line, eg. today I was put on hold no less than three times by Virgin Media, each time taking more than 10 minutes. My patience was very frayed at the edges after this !

With a loud-speaker attachment you would be able to still hear the music that is playing whilst you are put on hold, and then as soon as the operator comes on the line, immediately dash to the phone and pick it up. Thus if you have a long wait you can at least do something else whilst waiting, rather than sitting there with the phone to your ear for a long period of time.

Does anyone know if such a device as this exists ?

Please note I am not looking for a headset as this would allow less freedom to move around because of the cord.

It could just be some sort of adapter that allows a standard speaker (eg. a PC speaker) to be attached to the phone.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Rossua is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2007, 19:08   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: Telephone Loudspeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossua View Post
Does anyone know if such a device as this exists ?
Yes, it's called a cordless phone.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 19:24   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Far easier just to buy a new Digital cordless phone.
Old 15-03-2007, 19:40   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not sure if you can get a separate speaker, but I'm sure phones with integrated speakers will exist - indeed I have one of those sitting on my desk at work, and how I miss not having similar at home, for dialling any call centre.

A speaker phone is much more convenient than a cordless phone for long waits. They still require you to keep the thing pinned to your ear
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 16:46   #5
Rossua
Inactive

Thanks for all replies. A cordless alone wouldn't solve my problem though as it still requires having the phone glued to one's ear for an inordinate length of time. A speakerphone with a very high loudness level seems the best solution, possibly incorporating a cordless handset within it. I see Maplins have special phones for hard-of-hearing which could be a good option.
Old 16-03-2007, 19:07   #6
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks for all replies. A cordless alone wouldn't solve my problem though as it still requires having the phone glued to one's ear for an inordinate length of time. A speakerphone with a very high loudness level seems the best solution, possibly incorporating a cordless handset within it. I see Maplins have special phones for hard-of-hearing which could be a good option.
Cordless phones can be used handsfree and are audible through the built in speaker and you can carry it with you.
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 16:43   #7
Rossua
Inactive

You mean you can still hear it even if it is not held to your ear ? I was not aware that this was the norm for cordless phones.

Old 17-03-2007, 16:49   #8
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
You mean you can still hear it even if it is not held to your ear ? I was not aware that this was the norm for cordless phones.

That's the case with my cordless, BT Freestyle 2200 series. BOught off e-bay
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 17:23   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Most DECT cordless phones in my experiece have some sort of handsfree mode.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 19:26   #10
daz300
Inactive

Services: walking speed BB and tivo
daz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to all

this phone has hands free with it
link : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...telephones.htm
daz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 19:42   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I'd get a cordless DECT phone if i was you as they don't cost much.
Old 17-03-2007, 20:02   #12
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

I bought a Binatone cordless DECT phone with answering machine from ASDA last week for £22.50 and that has a handsfree/loudspeaker mode.

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 20:16   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I find Philips phones good especially if someone has problems hearing high pitched rings like myself.

Philips 2153 Digital Cordless Telephone With Answering Machine Triple Pack £39.99

Quote:
Product Features
Digital DECT phone
Digital answering machine
Multi handset capability - 3
Handsfree operation
Intercom
DECT 2151 and 2 Additional Handsets
Free Intercom in combination with Handset
Handsfree on handset
Instrumental Melodies
Name & Number Caller Display
Name & Number Phonebook
Paging Key
Answermachine Control from Handset
Old 18-03-2007, 22:11   #14
info4u
Inactive

info4u is on a distinguished roadinfo4u is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Yes, it's called a cordless phone.
lol great minds think alike i guess
info4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 13:14   #15
Rossua
Inactive

Thanks for all suggestions, this has been a big help.