Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable modem on/off?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable modem on/off?

Old 14-03-2007, 14:18   #1
BEDO
Inactive

Services: Cable Virgin Media BB TV & Phone
BEDO is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable modem on/off?

Just had cable installed. Is it OK to turn the modem off when I put the PC into hibernation on closing down for the night?
The reason I ask, I seem to remember reading somewhere that modems can go out of sync if turned off, and require about three days to sort themselves out.
I would appreciate some of your comments, many thanks.
Ron.
BEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2007, 14:43   #2
EdwardTobia
Inactive

EdwardTobia is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cable modem on/off?

should be fine...
EdwardTobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 14:44   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

This used to be the case many years ago but now you can turn them off when you like. I've been away a whole month with it switched off before and it worked fine.

You can turn it off every night like I do or leave it on. It's up to you.

When you say put your PC into hibernation, I take it you mean sleep mode.
Most of the time, it is best to boot the PC from a totally off state after the modem is on so that it can configure itself with the modem, so just turn off the PC fully if you find it was giving you problems.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 15:59   #4
US.M@JORHAZZARD
Inactive

Services: Sky T.B NTL 30mb BB and phone.
US.M@JORHAZZARD will become famous soon enoughUS.M@JORHAZZARD will become famous soon enoughUS.M@JORHAZZARD will become famous soon enough

Just outa curiosity why would you want to turn your cable modem OFF ?
US.M@JORHAZZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 16:12   #5
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Some people don't like leaving thing's on and plugged in when you go out.
Especially if it is new equipment and you havent had it on long, there is the slight fire risk, or just to not use electricity.

Old 14-03-2007, 16:25   #6
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

And to reduce your carbon footprint
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 16:51   #7
BEDO
Inactive

Thank you all for your replies.
I believe earlier versions of Windows used to call it sleep, but on XP it is called Hibernation, It's so much quicker than waiting for the PC to post. If I haven't rebooted for other reasons for a day or so, I do shut down & boot up.
Why do I want to turn the modem off? two of you have answered for me, being new it could have a s/c that might cause a problem, also any equipment that gets warm is a potential threat however remote.
Carbon footprint? No way, I do not subscribe to that theory.
Halcyon, I would of course turn the modem on before the PC either from bootup or hibernation, and thank you for explaining that things have altered regarding losing sync on modems, I was sure I had read something along those lines in the past, glad to know of the improvement.
Once again thank you all for the posts.
Ron.
Old 14-03-2007, 17:22   #8
Halcyon
Hello !

Hope it all works out for you. Any problems, feel free to post again.
to the forums by the way.

Old 15-03-2007, 11:12   #9
BEDO
Inactive

Thanks for the welcome Halcyon.
Hope I don't have to worry you too often.
Ron.