Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | speed test unsure how to read them

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

speed test unsure how to read them

Old 24-02-2007, 16:42   #1
highlandlassie
Inactive

highlandlassie has a spectacular aura about themhighlandlassie has a spectacular aura about themhighlandlassie has a spectacular aura about themhighlandlassie has a spectacular aura about them
speed test unsure how to read them

According to my latest bill I am on 10MB. Upgraded last week.

I am using Terayon210 modem, connected by USB. Speed test results as follows

Dublin
upload 158 kbps
download 127 kbps
863 MS PING

London

upload 155 kbps
download 120kbps
108 MS PING
highlandlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2007, 16:45   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: speed test unsure how to read them

Those results seem low. Try the speed test link on this page and post the results.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 16:47   #3
highlandlassie
Inactive

highlandlassie has a spectacular aura about themhighlandlassie has a spectacular aura about themhighlandlassie has a spectacular aura about themhighlandlassie has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks Stuart.

Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:43:33 UTC

1st 512K took 35125 ms = 14.6 KB/sec, approx 120 Kbps, 0.12 Mbps
2nd 512K took 59250 ms = 8.6 KB/sec, approx 71 Kbps, 0.07 Mbps
3rd 512K took 44719 ms = 11.4 KB/sec, approx 94 Kbps, 0.09 Mbps
4th 512K took 39219 ms = 13.1 KB/sec, approx 108 Kbps, 0.11 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 98 Kbps, 0.1 Mbps
Old 24-02-2007, 16:52   #4
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Well, as I said, that is unacceptable. I'd phone Virgin and report it to them. Your average speed should be 7 to 10 Mbps, not 0.1

According to http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/in...x_v2&id=91&c=4 (an article written by someone who used to work for NTL), your modem is not compatible with the 10 Meg service, and should be replaced.
Old 24-02-2007, 17:09   #5
coops74
Inactive

Services: 20Meg BB V+ Box V Box Talk Unlimited
coops74 is on a distinguished roadcoops74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandlassie View Post
According to my latest bill I am on 10MB. Upgraded last week.

I am using Terayon210 modem, connected by USB. Speed test results as follows

Dublin
upload 158 kbps
download 127 kbps
863 MS PING

London

upload 155 kbps
download 120kbps
108 MS PING
This is a very old modem,i would suggest getting a new 250 model installed and running it through an ethernet connection,give customer services a call looks like you have a slow speed issue,i can guess it will be the modem

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

I have a 250 modem on a 10mb connection and i am getting a 9.6MB download back off it and 480 upload but it does vary
coops74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 17:09   #6
highlandlassie
Inactive

Phoned up and got India - said my modem is OK and got me to type in a number - tools,internet option, connections, settings and tick proxy server.

May well phone them up and request a new modem - tried phoning again - CS closed now until Monday
Old 24-02-2007, 17:13   #7
coops74
Inactive

Services: 20Meg BB V+ Box V Box Talk Unlimited
coops74 is on a distinguished roadcoops74 is on a distinguished road

Was it ok before you upgraded the speed
coops74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 17:23   #8
highlandlassie
Inactive

coops74 - no it was still slow - thought by upgrading, things would be faster, and only relelised I had been put on the 10MB when I got my bill in. Didn't think it was going to happen until Tuesday next week.

When I spoke to CS they assured me my modem would take the 10MB, as I read on here, it wouldn't. Now I have the link I can argue with them, and before I sign for the VIP package, I will want a new modem
Old 24-02-2007, 17:27   #9
Stuart
-

I'd trust the article at chetnet. I know the guy that owns the site, and he used to be very high up in NTL (in fact, I think he was in charge of the team testing new hardware), so I trust his article.
Old 24-02-2007, 17:33   #10
highlandlassie
Inactive

thanks for all the replies. Did another test

Sat, 24 Feb 2007 17:30:23 UTC

1st 512K took 9813 ms = 52.2 KB/sec, approx 430 Kbps, 0.42 Mbps
2nd 512K took 35156 ms = 14.6 KB/sec, approx 120 Kbps, 0.12 Mbps
3rd 512K took 4750 ms = 107.8 KB/sec, approx 888 Kbps, 0.87 Mbps
4th 512K took 40672 ms = 12.6 KB/sec, approx 104 Kbps, 0.1 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 386 Kbps, 0.38 Mbps
Old 24-02-2007, 17:34   #11
Stuart
-

You need a new modem, and possibly to get an engineer to look at the connection.
Old 24-02-2007, 17:54   #12
leics poshie
Inactive

Services: 2 for £20 Tv and Braodband calls unlimited
leics poshie is an unknown quantity at this point

When i run the speed test on speedtest.net it just doesnt move are my settings wrong
leics poshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 20:17   #13
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

You definitely need a new modem if your on 10Mb. The Terayon's aren't capable, ring back CS and hope you get someone that knows about the modem. Use ethernet if you can as well.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 20:36   #14
virginmedia
Inactive

virginmedia is on a distinguished roadvirginmedia is on a distinguished road

You defo need a new modem and dont use USB its rubbish use ethernet it does not require any drivers
virginmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 23:54   #15
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

stop using USB is the first suggestion
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote