Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Holiday thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Holiday thread

Old 23-02-2007, 22:50   #1
homealone

Holiday thread

just an idea - a thread for members to post their holiday plans, get advice from members who have 'been there' and feedback when they return??

To start Mrs Gaz & myself recently visited Barcelona for 3 nights - all booked online by Mrs Gaz

There are some pics I took in this link

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk./gazfa...elonamycamera/

We found the 'bus turistic' a fantastic option, €23 for 2 days unlimited touring on an open top bus, get on & off as you like

Air quality isn't too good, loads of traffic & loads of smokers make it a bit fuggy

We found a great restaurant right next to the hotel which averaged €30 for a meal & soft drinks, for both of us.

We bought stuff from local supermarkets, whenever we could, - litre of wine in a box €1 , for example - we got some nice prawns & fresh bread on the last day & sat in the 'Industrial Park' to eat them

Still can't get used to everything closing in the afternoon, in Spain
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2007, 23:09   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Holiday thread

I'm thinking about where to go this year, possibly going back to Thailand in the summer, but this time to go island hopping... have to save up my pennies for that though Hard to find a flight for under £500 for when i want to go

Also thinking about planning a weekend in Europe sometime soon but haven't thought about the details yet. Perhaps Holland or Italy as they are the only countries (excluding the scandanavian and new EU countries) that i haven't been to.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 23:19   #3
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
I'm thinking about where to go this year, possibly going back to Thailand in the summer, but this time to go island hopping... have to save up my pennies for that though Hard to find a flight for under £500 for when i want to go

Also thinking about planning a weekend in Europe sometime soon but haven't thought about the details yet. Perhaps Holland or Italy as they are the only countries (excluding the scandanavian and new EU countries) that i haven't been to.

Mrs Gaz mentioned Prague 'next', it looks like it is worth looking into
Old 23-02-2007, 23:23   #4
Fingy
Inactive

Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal
Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal

Going to Orlando for 3 weeks and I can't wait to get away! Don't really need much advise as I've been out there quite a few times but if anyone needs any advise, especially Disney related feel free to give me a shout.
Fingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 23:24   #5
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Been there

Went 5 years ago and it is indeed a very nice city. Stayed outside prague and it is recommended- it was very cheap (food, beer, cigarettes etc) but i hear that prices have increased recently as it has become a more popular destination.

Bulgaria is supposed to be a good place to go as well

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingy View Post
Going to Orlando for 3 weeks and I can't wait to get away! Don't really need much advise as I've been out there quite a few times but if anyone needs any advise, especially Disney related feel free to give me a shout.
you going there again?! don't forget to bring Tigger back with you
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 23:26   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
<snip>
We found a great restaurant right next to the hotel which averaged €30 for a meal & soft drinks, for both of us.
Sounds a bit out of character

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
We bought stuff from local supermarkets, whenever we could, - litre of wine in a box €1
Ah, there you go. Not showing great style though

Our last vacation: Two weeks in Laos. Very similar to Thailand in terms of the friendliness of the people, but with the pace several gears down. The capital, Vientiane has a whopping 200,000 inhabitants. Travelling up the country things get even more relaxed (and the scenery is stunning), though some places (Vang Vieng in particular) suffer from backpacker abundance.

R&R notes: Beer Lao is exceptionally good. Right up there with Carlsberg, Heineken (both of the export variety). Readily available and cheap.
Old 23-02-2007, 23:50   #7
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Sounds a bit out of character

Ah, there you go. Not showing great style though

Our last vacation: Two weeks in Laos. Very similar to Thailand in terms of the friendliness of the people, but with the pace several gears down. The capital, Vientiane has a whopping 200,000 inhabitants. Travelling up the country things get even more relaxed (and the scenery is stunning), though some places (Vang Vieng in particular) suffer from backpacker abundance.

R&R notes: Beer Lao is exceptionally good. Right up there with Carlsberg, Heineken (both of the export variety). Readily available and cheap.
the wine was surprisingly palatable, Dan

- we found it in another shop at €0.76 per litre, but I didn't start this as a cheapest wine thread, so your Laos comments are more than welcome
Old 23-02-2007, 23:52   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Hopefully (if I get a job to pay for the flights) going to Northern Cyprus, near Kyrenia, in July/August; some friends are having a villa built there, and we are (hopefully) going out with them to stay for a fortnight.

Can anyon recommend any good bars/restaurants/beaches around there?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 23:55   #9
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Not had a holiday since about 1989
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 04:38   #10
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

Quote:
ooh my future in laws - especially Anton's mum loves Prague. they've been there a few times. it does sound nice... they booked flight and hotel with british airways I believe.
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 12:01   #11
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I would reccomend that anyone that is thinking of booking hotels / guest houses / bed & Breakfasts check out the following website www.tripadvisor.co.uk
you can find reviews of many hotels from people that have stayed there and see user's photos that give a more realistic look of the hotel compared to a hotel's marketing shots.

I'm often in France due to having family there so if anyone ever needs any help with looking into places in France, just let me know.

Other places I have been to that are quite nice...... Austria.....More specifically the little town of Zell Am see.
More info here:

http://www.europasportregion.info/en...ll_am_see.html

http://www.zellamsee.at/pinzgauerisch/winter.html

Venice is also worth going to. Lot's of lovely historical buildings, cathedral, opera, etc.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 21:38   #12
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
Not had a holiday since about 1989
then you should treat yourself - go and have fish & chips in Whitby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I would reccomend that anyone that is thinking of booking hotels / guest houses / bed & Breakfasts check out the following website www.tripadvisor.co.uk
you can find reviews of many hotels from people that have stayed there and see user's photos that give a more realistic look of the hotel compared to a hotel's marketing shots.

I'm often in France due to having family there so if anyone ever needs any help with looking into places in France, just let me know.

Other places I have been to that are quite nice...... Austria.....More specifically the little town of Zell Am see.
More info here:

http://www.europasportregion.info/en...ll_am_see.html

http://www.zellamsee.at/pinzgauerisch/winter.html

Venice is also worth going to. Lot's of lovely historical buildings, cathedral, opera, etc.
nice offer and good links, thanks Halcyon
Old 24-02-2007, 22:00   #13
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Prague is well worth a visit, lots to see, cheap beer and food, i have an address for an excellent Czech restaurant if your interested.

Budapest is good too

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Anyone been to the Canadian Rockies + Seattle? starting to plan a trip for this summer
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 22:07   #14
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
Prague is well worth a visit, lots to see, cheap beer and food, i have an address for an excellent Czech restaurant if your interested.

Budapest is good too

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Anyone been to the Canadian Rockies + Seattle? starting to plan a trip for this summer
Thanks - I'm interested

We spent a short time in Seattle prior to our Alaska Cruise, a couple of years ago, - allocate a whole day for 'Pike Place' market, if you can, you won't regret it Having a meal in a restaurant that was sending staff into the market to get the freshest stuff available was one highlight
Old 24-02-2007, 22:16   #15
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Thanks - I'm interested
Jachymka
Jachymova 4
Praha 1

Tel 224 819 621

its a pub, VERY good czech beers but also very good Czech food

http://www.praguepubs.co.uk/pubs_details.php?id=54

Go for the Pork Knuckle, so so tender and about a foot long! comes to the table on a spit instead of a plate.

We stayed at the Arcotel Teatrino

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Bohemia.html
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote