Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 10mb Broadband Problems, looking for help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

10mb Broadband Problems, looking for help

Old 21-02-2007, 18:07   #1
Numenor
Inactive

Numenor is an unknown quantity at this point
10mb Broadband Problems, looking for help

Hello. After reading a lot of threads on VM internet ive seen a few people with the same problem I have. Basically im not getting the advertised speed of my 10mb broadband, more like about 5.5mb! The highest my download goes is 620 kb/s ( This is on private torrent tracker with 100Mbit seeders)

Its been the same ever since the 10mb came out. Ive called tech service a few times, but nothing is ever done about it, and im really just looking for a reason why im not getting the full bandwith.

Im an old Telewest customer, living just east of Glasgow ( I run off the Uddingston 'exchange'(right word??) I do believe). I have a Cable modem the Motorola Surfboard 5100.

Ive had cable for over 10 years and our service has always been jumpy (stb freezes quite a bit). My room is situated at the back of the house, so the engineer had to use a lot of cable to get from where our cable comes into our house to where my computer is. Could this affect it?

I connect my modem to the comp with a USB cable, ive tried using an ethernet cable but I can't get it working, it doesnt find a signal! Would it be better to use an ethernet cable? If so, how to I get it to work? ( I have an Ausu mobo, with a Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit controller)

Any help you could provide would great. heres a speed test pic I just took.

Thanks
Kevin
Numenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2007, 18:20   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: 10mb Broadband Problems, looking for help

Did you power everything (inc cable modem) off when switching to ethernet?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 18:22   #3
AndyIggs83
Inactive

Services: NTL TV & 10MB BB
AndyIggs83 will become famous soon enoughAndyIggs83 will become famous soon enoughAndyIggs83 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to AndyIggs83

The reason your not getting full speed is because your connecting through USB as well, ethernet is so much better
AndyIggs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 18:23   #4
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Power off everything, then power on the modem, wait 60 seconds, then power on your pc. 10Mbps is best on ethernet not on USB. This could be the problem.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 18:43   #5
Numenor
Inactive

Numenor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for the reply everyone. Guess what, it worked.

Idiot boy here was not powering everything off before connecting the ethernet, this is why it was not detecting a signal.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Kev
Numenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 19:13   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Always a good thing to do when switching any hardware connection like that lol
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote