Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need a new Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need a new Router

Old 13-02-2007, 18:53   #1
Scon
Inactive

Scon is an unknown quantity at this point
Need a new Router

I've just moved house and have gone from a BT Broadband connection to Virgin Media Broadband (Telewest Cable) connection.

Need to buy a new router to attach to the existing Motorola Surfboard SB4200 modem and then a new adapter to attach to my machine.

Couple of Q's:

1. What the diff between an ADSL Router and a Cable one?
2. Could I actually buy a router with a modem built in and then just scrap the SB4200? Would there be any advantage to this?

My budget is loose... £50-60 ideally, for both router and adapter, but could go higher...

Any recommendations? Many thanks.
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2007, 19:02   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Need a new Router

Hi there.

You will need a cable modem supplied to you from Virgin Media if you are using their Cable services, as I seem to see you are intending to do.

You can only use this modem as it is registered for your address so no other modem will work for your connection at your address.

The diffferences between ADSL and Cable modems / routers is that ADSL equipment has a modem already built in and is intended to convert digital and analog signals via your phone line.
A broadband modem is used by Virgin media (NTL Telewest) as it does not use the phone line but instead the cable network.

If you are buying a router, you will need a normal cable router to connect into the supplied modem. You then connect your PC's to the router.

Some router suggestions can be found here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...info-here.html

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 19:35   #3
Scon
Inactive

Sorry just to make it clearer. I've moved back home where they already have cable (VM) using a Motorola SB4200 Modem attached to the family pc via usb. I've moved back in with my pc and want the internet on mine, in my room. So instead of trailing cables I'm going to buy a router and connect wirelessly.

So I need to buy a new "cable" router (not an "adsl" one) that will attach to the modem via Ethernet. Correct?? and then an adapter for my pc.

Do I need to have both pcs running through the router then? Couldn't I leave the family pc directly connected to the Modem (via usb)??
Old 13-02-2007, 19:42   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

You require something like a Linksys WRT54GS, it's a very popular router on this forum.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

And also a wireless adaptor. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=
Old 13-02-2007, 19:46   #5
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

You will need both pc's connected to the router. The modem can only be connect by usb or ethernet not both.

Just site router near the family pc and either a pci card or usb adapter in your pc and should work fine.

Some think with a good range might be good, try the linksys WRT54GS (about £40) or a Netgear WPN824 (about £80, but comes with a usb adapter if you get it from PC World.)

The Netgear has a good range, my mate has one at the back of his house and can connect fine to his car pc out the front of his house.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 23:52   #6
Scon
Inactive

Ordered!!
Linksys WRT54GS and Linksys WUSB54GS 125Mbps USB Adapter

Cheers fellas.