Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media - Too good to be true?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media - Too good to be true?

Old 08-02-2007, 16:56   #1
awibble
Inactive

Services: FreeView FreeSat SKY+ (6 Mix) BT Phone (comming soon) V+ XL - TV XL - PHONE XL - BB SKY-MOV
awibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant future
Virgin Media - Too good to be true?

So about 2 weeks ago i ordered telewest, Moving into a house that can only get 512kbps broadband from BT, and i work from home so need better than that.

Went to telewest and ordered XL broadband, TV and Phone which came to £69 a month for the first 12 months, then it was to go up again.

Saw some comments on the VIP package on here last night, and deicded for £16 a month ive got to get me that.

Called them up and its all confirmed, on Satuarday they will be at the new house to install everything, which now includes from the orginal package, a V+HD box, Skysports and Movies, Talk mobile, Talk internatinal and the fact i will have 2 boxes, ive worked it out to about a £60 saving if i got it all without any offers.

It all sounds too good to be true, so i will wait and see.

On another note the guys at one of the telewest call centers sound happy, said that today is a lot more relaxed that they expected, choc filled craqusents this morning, baloons and a Brad pit look a like! sounds like they are having fun at the call centers.

Only really have 2 questions, if someone could help out.

Will the HD box work with HDMI, component (YCbCr) or both?
Is there any Gotyas that i should be prepared for?
awibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2007, 17:25   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media - Too good to be true?

The V+ will work with both but Virgin Media only officially support HDMI as that is the cable the tech will bring.

The new package is a great offer and there are no catches.

Our office was the same, along with a massive Virgin Media cake
Old 08-02-2007, 17:32   #3
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by awibble View Post
....and a Brad pit look a like!
What? No Uma Thurman look-a-likes?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 18:14   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Are there any pack deals that include either:-

1. 10mbit broadband + basic landline
2. 10mbit broadband + TV + basic landline

or

1. 4mbit broadband + basic landline
2. 4mbit broadband + TV + basic landline

as these aren't listed on the the Virginmedia site and i don't want to downgrade to 2mbit to get a 2 for £20 or 3 for £30 deal.
Old 08-02-2007, 18:29   #5
johnforpeel
Inactive

johnforpeel is an unknown quantity at this point

Signed up with telewest in January & my first bill in Febuary which was £57.00over the top.Contacted them & was informed that they could do nothing at the present time and was requested to ring back in March and they would try to sort it out
johnforpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 18:36   #6
awibble
Inactive

Services: FreeView FreeSat SKY+ (6 Mix) BT Phone (comming soon) V+ XL - TV XL - PHONE XL - BB SKY-MOV
awibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda View Post
The V+ will work with both but Virgin Media only officially support HDMI as that is the cable the tech will bring.
Will the tech mind if theres already a cable in the wall? (dont like nasty cables and already put both in the wall).

Dont suppose you know if the tech will use the component if i ask do you? want to save the HDMI for the PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda View Post
Our office was the same, along with a massive Virgin Media cake
So how do we get some cake?

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnforpeel View Post
Signed up with telewest in January & my first bill in Febuary which was £57.00over the top.Contacted them & was informed that they could do nothing at the present time and was requested to ring back in March and they would try to sort it out
Could that be because the first bill is actually 2 months minus the setup fee or something like that? CS tried to explain it to me.
Old 08-02-2007, 18:37   #7
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Are there any pack deals that include either:-

1. 10mbit broadband + TV
2. 10mbit broadband + TV + basic landline

or

1. 4mbit broadband + TV
2. 4mbit broadband + TV + basic landline

as these aren't listed on the the Virginmedia site and i don't want to downgrade to 2mbit to get a 2 for £20 or 3 for £30 deal.
You can upgrade the broadband in the bundles for the difference in cost (i.e. L is £7 extra, XL is £10 extra on top of L).
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 18:44   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Fools View Post
You can upgrade the broadband in the bundles for the difference in cost (i.e. L is £7 extra, XL is £10 extra on top of L).
So i'm currently paying for

10mbit broadband at £35
Phone line at £11

Total £46

So what will i save if anything as i'm still confused?
Old 08-02-2007, 19:35   #9
richie
Inactive

Services: TV Drive 4meg
richie is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont suppose you know if the tech will use the component if i ask do you? want to save the HDMI for the PS3

Virgin will only offer support with the HDMI, you can ask but he's not supposed to use any other cable
richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 19:36   #10
JG3870
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media (ex-Telewest) Broadband Size L/TV Size XL & V+ Box / Freesat
JG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by awibble View Post
Only really have 2 questions, if someone could help out.

Will the HD box work with HDMI, component (YCbCr) or both?
Is there any Gotyas that i should be prepared for?
The V+ HD box supports both HDMI & Component
JG3870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 19:40   #11
awibble
Inactive

Just relized, a lot of the people on this forum seem to be staff.... Dont suppose the Slough installer is on here :P
Old 08-02-2007, 19:59   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnforpeel View Post
It's called pro-rating, as you pay for the packages a month in advance, and for calls and ppv in arrears. So you would be paying for January and February's Telephone Line Rental, Broadband, and TV.

If you joined 4th January 2007, and you received your first bill early February 2007, you would have two months charges, in the format below -

Telephone Line Rental - 4th January - 3rd February amount
Fully Itemised Billing (if appropriate) amount
Telephone Line Rental - 4th February - 3rd March amount
Fully Itemised Billing (if appropriate) amount
TV Size XL - 4th January - 3rd February amount
TV Size XL - 4th February - 3rd March amount
Broadband Size L - 4st January - 31st January amount
Broadband Size L - 4th February - 3rd March amount
Call Charges - 1st January - 31st January amount

Your Call charges should be on another sheet, with the total on the front page of your bill.

Hope this helps.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 20:05   #13
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
So i'm currently paying for

10mbit broadband at £35
Phone line at £11

Total £46

So what will i save if anything as i'm still confused?
You could get that for £20 plus £17 = £37 per month.
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 20:07   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Fools View Post
You could get that for £20 plus £17 = £37 per month.
Sounds good, just hope i don't have to grovel if i phone up.