Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl are throttling my internet speeds wtf

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl are throttling my internet speeds wtf

Old 07-02-2007, 22:14   #1
ginge51
Permanently Banned

Services: I'm on vm 10 meg
ginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to all
ntl are throttling my internet speeds wtf

hi all

im on 2 meg bb and have only been with ntl since 2 weeks ago i moved from aol since they moved to cpw but last couple of night my speeds are getting cut in half and its ****ing me off to say the least wtf is it with isp s these days we pay for 2 meg bb thats written in the contract so why in the hell dont we get these speeds ?
the speed i keep getting at nioght time is about 912 kbp/s should be 2 meg bb i though ntl wasnt supposed to cap speeds?
or is this something to do with them goons at virgin taking over from ntl?
please help and tell me if any1 else is having this problem aswell .

thx
ginge51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2007, 22:16   #2
Locky
Permanently Banned

Locky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friends
Re: ntl are throtling my internet speeds wtf

my usenet is being throttled to 5 meg (600 kb/s) other than that i am fine, i aint so much complaining about bein throttled as 50 gig a day will still satisfy me
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 22:18   #3
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Nothing has been reported to suggest 2Mbps is being throttled in anyway.
10Mbps is, but only in a few areas, my area isn't being throttled.
Perhaps it's just a UBR problem
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 22:19   #4
ginge51
Permanently Banned

ginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to all

but i moved to ntl because i heard they dont throttle speeds can some1 tell me if this is true plz?

does ntl throttle bb speeds?

p.s heres proof of the speeds im getting just done a speed test
im aledgedly on 2 meg bb the fxxxing mupets arggghhhhhhhhh .
Old 07-02-2007, 22:20   #5
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

have you called ntl to ask?
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 22:21   #6
Locky
Permanently Banned

Locky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friends

post modem config ? tht speed looks liek 1 meg..
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 22:21   #7
zing_deleted

that does not prove anything it just means that site has a load. Try a multi threaded download manager and please dont add to the throttle hysteria that is already in place and misplaced. Unless as mentioned your just on 1 meg and need to call ntl
Old 07-02-2007, 22:28   #8
ginge51
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
that does not prove anything it just means that site has a load. Try a multi threaded download manager and please dont add to the throttle hysteria that is already in place and misplaced. Unless as mentioned your just on 1 meg and need to call ntl
hi

wel when i had ntl installed 2 weeks ago i got the offer that was online which was 2 meg bb for 10 pounds per month thats why i went for it so i should be gettinmg 2 meg not 1 meg
Old 07-02-2007, 22:32   #9
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

you pay for a 2mb connection not a 2mb download speed, as mentioned your download speed can vary depending on who your downloading from, have you tried any other sites?
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 22:33   #10
ginge51
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostandconfused View Post
have you called ntl to ask?
ill have to ring them back tommorrow now as there open till 8pm only
plus i even noticed as all the forms were being sent to me from ntl that there was no mention on the forms of the 2 meg bb im getting
i hope they dont try and say that im on 1 meg as ive signed the 12 month contract

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostandconfused View Post
you pay for a 2mb connection not a 2mb download speed, as mentioned your download speed can vary depending on who your downloading from, have you tried any other sites?
hi m8

yeah ill try some others now and post the screenies to prove it
Old 07-02-2007, 22:35   #11
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

It looks like you're on 1Mbps.

Someone have the link so they can check their config so we can find out what service they're actually on
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 22:39   #12
ginge51
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post

Someone have the link so they can check their config so we can find out what service they're actually on
i though ntl only have the 2 meg 4 meg and 10 meg broadband packages??

i cant find no decent speed test sites except for the 1 i posted can some1 link me to some sites please then ill do the tests?

thx

plus yesterday i was downloading the supreme commander demo at 240 kps so thisd proves im on 2meg and they must be throttling in someway or there could be a fault ?
maybe something with virgin taking over?
Old 07-02-2007, 22:50   #13
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post

http://192.168.100.1

or

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/cablecheck
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 22:53   #14
ginge51
Permanently Banned

cheers m8 on the 2nd link it said this
You are currently subscribed to the Broadband Size: M.
what does this mean?
Old 07-02-2007, 22:53   #15
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Broadband M: 2Mb
Broadband L: 4Mb
Broadband XL: 10Mb
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote