Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Resistance: Fall of Man [PS3]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Resistance: Fall of Man [PS3]

Old 07-01-2007, 21:33   #1
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Resistance: Fall of Man [PS3]

gamesTM issue 52 has a review of this much-hyped PS3 launch title, which has been hailed by some as the PS3's answer to Halo, Gears of War, etc.

gamesTM is the only print mag I trust for games. I don't think much of Edge normally, & I never trust reviews from single-format mags (especially the "Official" mags), be they Xbox, PS, Nintendo, etc.

Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesTM issue 52
Comparing Resistance to Epic's monster [Gears of War] is unfair. The two are quite different; Fall of Man's a very traditional shooter. The immediate point of reference [to Resistance] is Call of Duty 3 - both feature standard FPS mechanics, both are heavy on action, both cram as many soldiers on screen as possible, and both are inescapably linear.
But where COD3 thrilled with its set pieces and terrifying atmosphere, Resistance falls noticeably short.

[snip]

Q: How are the graphics?
A: They vary from lovely to downright PS2 ugly.

Q: Enemy AI?
A: Decent, but not on a par with Halo, Half-Life, or F.E.A.R.

Q: Do the physics aid gameplay?
A: No, they're just eye-candy. Good though.

[snip]

If Resistance is here to hail a new generation of PlayStation, we'll stick with the last.

[snip]

One salient fact remains however: Resistance: Fall of Man - a PS3 launch title with a thunderous hype machine behind it - is vastly inferior to a five-year-old Xbox game. It really speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Verdict: 6/10

Playable but ultimately uninspiring.

More reviews at Metacritic.com

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...tancefallofman

Some good reviews & scores from IGN, various single-format PlayStation mags/sites, & mags/site I've never heard of.

7/10 from Edge.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2007, 23:02   #2
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
Re: Resistance: Fall of Man [PS3]

i dont think its that fair to compare GOW with resistance fall of man, they are simaler in looks and maybe gameplay (atleast alot of people who play it have said) but GOW was in development for a long time and the 360 has been out at retail for more than a year now, its only a first gen game, even the initial batch of 360 games were unimpressive!
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 23:40   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

But neither I nor the review compared it to GOW.

It's the fanboys & the hype-machine who've been saying it's the PS3's answer to Gears of War (& Halo).

From the review, again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesTM
Comparing Resistance to Epic's monster [Gears of War] is unfair. The two are quite different; Fall of Man's a very traditional shooter. The immediate point of reference [to Resistance] is Call of Duty 3 - both feature standard FPS mechanics, both are heavy on action, both cram as many soldiers on screen as possible, and both are inescapably linear.
But where COD3 thrilled with its set pieces and terrifying atmosphere, Resistance falls noticeably short.
Old 08-01-2007, 00:00   #4
kronas
Inactive

to be honest i myself thought it was COD3 like, but i have not played resistance so i cant say.

but to suffice to say it will still sell in my opinion, its going to be a launch game for us, i doubt there will be little else to worth buying at the eu launch....
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 00:54   #5
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas View Post
to be honest i myself thought it was COD3 like, but i have not played resistance so i cant say.

but to suffice to say it will still sell in my opinion, its going to be a launch game for us, i doubt there will be little else to worth buying at the eu launch....
If you like F1 games i think that is dew out on the European launch of the ps3 and it looks very impresive indeed. Hopefully they will include the onlinde mode in the US/EU release as they didnt in Japan.

http://www.threespeech.com/blog/wp-c...eenshot328.jpg
http://www.threespeech.com/blog/wp-c...eenshot196.jpg
http://www.threespeech.com/blog/wp-c...eenshot187.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/7...l_1778270.html

http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/74...g_4097328.html

Also Motorstorm is supposed to be dew out on launch i think and that is looking great to, both games have had good reviews over on the av forums where i got the pics.

http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/74...g_4150101.html
http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/74...g_4150093.html
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 22:04   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas View Post

Yep, it'll definitely sell...prob. better at least than the rest of the launch games...

Devil May Cry & Metal Gear Solid look very good, but it'll be a fair wait before they come out....
Old 08-01-2007, 22:31   #7
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

To be honest, with so many 'exclusive titles' going mutli-platform and the Xbox 360 holding its own graphicially against the PS3. I fail to see why the PS3 is worth the extra money.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 22:34   #8
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
To be honest, with so many 'exclusive titles' going mutli-platform and the Xbox 360 holding its own graphicially against the PS3. I fail to see why the PS3 is worth the extra money.
Can we not have a debate on the 360 v PS3 for a change, its worth the extra money because of the blu-ray, if you dont think that then you wont buy it but plenty of people will. And yes plenty of 360 games look stunnung but so do plenty of PS3 games like the 2 that i linked to in my previous post.
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 15:49   #9
ready2win

Resistance Fall of Man PS3

Im thinking of getting resistance as a launch title, anyone else played it yet? I swear it looks amazing! I just wanna hear first hand reviews from you guys.
Old 07-03-2007, 22:36   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Re: Resistance Fall of Man PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2win View Post
Im thinking of getting resistance as a launch title, anyone else played it yet? I swear it looks amazing! I just wanna hear first hand reviews from you guys.

I've merged your thread with an earlier one about "Resistance: Fall of Man" within the Playstation forum.

No 1st hand reviews here yet at CF, but the 1st post has quotes from a gamesTM review, & links to various reviews at Metacritic.
Old 26-03-2007, 03:39   #11
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point

Would be good to hear someones veiws on the game...??? as im also thinking of getting this came when i get the PS3...
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 07:46   #12
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

I nearly bought it but decided against it. Luckily there is a demo in the shop section, will let you know after i have played it once i get home from work!

(I agree, the PS3 vs 360 discussion on every PS3 thread is slightly a pain)
Downloads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 08:08   #13
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Downloads
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 12:32   #14
zrerz
Inactive

Services: virgin 20meg cable internet, XL tv package & phone + V-Box
zrerz is on a distinguished roadzrerz is on a distinguished road

I bought resistance (and Motorstorm) on the release day (as did everyone else buying the PS3).
I find it a decent FPS, but as has been said, it's early days yet, let the software catch up to the potential of the hardware, and we'll see.
As for the GOW, I finished that on the 360, but Resistance is a far bigger game, so, for me at least, I'm getting better value for money, as I can enjoy longer hours of gameplay.
zrerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 19:54   #15
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Played the demo and i was quite pleasantly surprised. People had been talking it down, but rather unjustly i think. It's not a classic, but deffinitely a good play, i'd put it somewhere between GoW and CoD3. Controls felt good and the AI was good too.

Graphics wern't bad either for the start of a first gen console.

Only problem for me is, i was really hoping to spend the money on Untold Legends, maybe i will get it if the PS3 has a big baron spell like the 360 had.
Downloads is offline   Reply With Quote