Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it possible to have TWO NTL lines at a house?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it possible to have TWO NTL lines at a house?

Old 17-11-2006, 18:46   #1
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age
Is it possible to have TWO NTL lines at a house?

I'm ...fedup with Bulldog

We've been having frequent disconnection issues with our ADSL service for 6 months
It does it upto 50 times a day on average and they can't seem to find out why, so my last resort is to move to NTL

My brother allready has NTL broadband, so i'm wondering, can a 2nd line be installed?
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2006, 18:54   #2
anduin
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD, 100mb VM cable, Virgin Phoneline
anduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Is it possible to have TWO NTL lines at a house?

If NTL is working in your house properly surely it would be more cost effective to buy a router and share the service ?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 18:56   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Good point. Why can't you share your brother's account by wireless? It would be a heck of a lot cheaper, asssuming NTL will even run a second line to your home, which is doubtful unless you can convince them there place is actually two flats.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 19:43   #4
Locky
Permanently Banned

Locky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friends

well, provided you are willing to pay, i dont see why not
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 19:43   #5
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

There were 2 at our old house but it was done as a flat. So 2 to 1 hose should not be a problem provided they can clearly define the bill.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 20:35   #6
AdamD
cf.mega poster

AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Good point. Why can't you share your brother's account by wireless?
Yea that'd be the ideal solution, but he won't share it (Long story)
Old 17-11-2006, 21:13   #7
Justy
Inactive

Justy has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
It is possible to get a second account at your current address. Contact sales (0800 183 1234) and choose the option for 'to become a new ntl:telwest customer'. Advise them that it is a shared house.

Good luck.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 21:15   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
Without wishing to pry ... do you both just live there alone or is it still your parents' house? If the latter, surely it's not ultimately down to him?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 21:25   #9
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

Adam is the one that has problems with his bro (father sleeps in lounge etc) There was a thread about it
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 21:29   #10
anduin
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD, 100mb VM cable, Virgin Phoneline
anduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about them

OK well surely another option first is to see if Adam can get any help on resolving his adsl issues, better to have adsl and cable in the house than to put all their eggs in one basket and both do cable?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 04:08   #11
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Adam is the one that has problems with his bro (father sleeps in lounge etc) There was a thread about it
Heh yep, still ongoing :P

The problem with the adsl dropping the connection has gone on since we were upgraded to the 16mb service from Bulldog

Sometimes it'll drop, then keep doing so every few minutes, sometimes it'll go for hours without dropping

We've replaced the router three times with different models, replaced the adsl cable itself, three times, same with the filter

Bulldog have done line tests, said it was AOK, last time they said there was some "resistance" on the line, so they sent a BT engineer out, who said there was some insulation issues in the CAB, so he replaced .er.....something and said that should fix it

Bulldog did another test and said the resistance had gone
But, it STILL keeps dropping the connection

I really have no idea what else I can try
Old 19-11-2006, 09:55   #12
RXP
Inactive

Services: 20mbit net Sky Family TV Usenet axxs for HD films
RXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the rough

When 50mbit is around, could have dual 50mbits to get 100mbit :-o
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 11:50   #13
d0pey
Inactive

d0pey is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but you have to do have it installed at 1A My Road for example.

That is what I got told by a customer service rep when I asked.
d0pey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 11:59   #14
DaBuzz
Inactive

DaBuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Just add an A to your house number when you call NTL. When they come over, put up a paper sign with your house number + A attached to your bedroom door. If they question it, say yeah i don't speak to my neighbours!
DaBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 15:02   #15
york
Inactive

york is an unknown quantity at this point

just to confirm, at my old address, which was a shared student house (wont be doing that again!) we started off with a shared connection via NTL, after my housemate was DLin- 24/7 365 and hogging all the bandwidth i gave NTL a call and told them to install a seperate line, which they did, the billing issue was resolved by room number (even tho there wasnt any room numbers on the doors).
So yes you can have a completly seperate service from your brother.
york is offline   Reply With Quote