Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ""INCOMPLETE FILES""" rar files

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

""INCOMPLETE FILES""" rar files

Old 15-11-2006, 16:07   #1
salimsd
Inactive

salimsd is an unknown quantity at this point
""INCOMPLETE FILES""" rar files

Hi,

i am sure this is mentioned before, i think av just read something below about this but do we have a solution for these """INCOMPLETE FILE""". I mean we spend hours d/loading stuff only to realise it's NO USE and PAR files can't fix it as it too mane incomplete file.
So is their a solution? or how long is this going to go on?
Is the fault with client (i.E GrabIt) or fault with NTL?

Sal
salimsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2006, 16:12   #2
zing_deleted

Re: ""INCOMPLETE FILES""" rar files

did they not show up as incomplete files in the newsreader? are there no par files at all? if this is the case then your stuffed. Theres threads on here about news servers but one things for sure NTLs is crap and it always will be the baby brothers nappy to the paid for servers
Old 15-11-2006, 16:38   #3
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
NTLs is crap and it always will be the baby brothers nappy to the paid for servers
Made me laugh anyway!

As a general rule, ISPs have never been too worried about the binary portions of news servers - it's a ton of content to have to carry (although these days you could argue it would reduce their external traffic if they had decent binary server). If you want to be able to download binaries you're looking at a paid for service.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 16:51   #4
Dogster
Inactive

Dogster has a spectacular aura about themDogster has a spectacular aura about themDogster has a spectacular aura about themDogster has a spectacular aura about them

There are a lot of incomplete posts recently but it depends on what groups
you're using and what you're after.
I can still get what I want and for those that have missing posts I'll use
torrents to fill any missing rars.

as you can see there are lots of incompletes but enough pars to do the job.
Dogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 18:06   #5
salimsd
Inactive

Hi,

thanks for info. Am using Grabit and it shoes all ok on that but once the rar file is d/loaded it will be "incomplete Grab" and par files can't fix it cos theirs so many incomplete. Am also getting lot of "article not found" this is really getting to me. AM trying .AVI files.
Old 15-11-2006, 19:10   #6
intoxik8
Inactive

intoxik8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimsd View Post
Hi,

thanks for info. Am using Grabit and it shoes all ok on that but once the rar file is d/loaded it will be "incomplete Grab" and par files can't fix it cos theirs so many incomplete. Am also getting lot of "article not found" this is really getting to me. AM trying .AVI files.
With GrabIt if what has been uploaded has been numbered look for missing numbers, it’s easy to overlook them I have a few times. I have no idea about the new version of GrabIt, I didn’t like it so stuck with the old, with the old version if you select the “Red note” looking icon which as described is “Push this button to unmarked items that contain multiple news articles which are not present on news server” - in layman terms it shows up incompletes as reds, so you know if you see enough reds it's not worth as it no doubt won't be curable with quickpar.
intoxik8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 19:32   #7
salimsd
Inactive

So, if thats the case that lot are incomplete on grabit then it's problem with postings or problem with NTL? Cos av come a cross loads of different .AVI that are incomplete, surley not all postings are incomplete. seems like a problem with NTL server.
Old 15-11-2006, 19:40   #8
Horace
Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

NTL's news server retention is virtually useless for binaries, you have to get them at the time of posting. It's not really meant as a binary server and for that reason, it had a lot of the larger groups removed a while ago. If you want a decent binary service then you'll have to pay for it unfortunately.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 19:49   #9
salimsd
Inactive

which is the cheapest one???
Old 15-11-2006, 20:57   #10
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimsd View Post
which is the cheapest one???
not the cheapest, but of the ones i have used giganews is the best about £13 odd at today's rates and can allways max my connection.
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 21:01   #11
pooper
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb
pooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of light

lol i love the way you've hidden the filenames dogster :P
pooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 21:10   #12
atpcz
Inactive

atpcz is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for Giganews. Can't go wrong. At all.
atpcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 18:49   #13
intoxik8
Inactive

intoxik8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Incompletes can be down to the poster's service or NTL (I believe?) at the moment it's more down to NTL, for the past week or so it's been a terrible service, I've had no problem until now this year.

The appeal of NTL's newsgroups depends on the user, for me they've been fantastic, I don't need any sort of retention, and as said until now completion rates hasn't been a problem at all.

I hear Giganews and easynews bounced about alot as paid services can't see myself joining up just yet though.
intoxik8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 17:51   #14
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

Another vote for Giganews, can't fault them. You really do get what you pay for.
DieDieMyDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 18:31   #15
rick47
Inactive

rick47 is on a distinguished roadrick47 is on a distinguished road

Are we going through this again as all I am finding are 99% incomplete posts, very slow header download and you can get a complete file, only at 12 - 13 MB download as I normally have 18.5 ??
rick47 is offline   Reply With Quote