Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cardiff problems anyone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cardiff problems anyone?

Old 09-10-2006, 22:37   #1
Jay271
Inactive

Jay271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Cardiff problems anyone?

I'm on the 10mb package, but am having awful problems.

Speed tests are showing anything between 500k and 3Mb download speeds.

Seems to be slow on everything, browsing, usenet and email.

Anyone else having issues?
Jay271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2006, 22:40   #2
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Cardiff problems anyone?

seem all ok here, im getting about 7meg from giganews on my old cmx which maxes out at about 7.5meg
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 20:06   #3
Jay271
Inactive

Still the same this evening, my upload speed is 512 and my d/l is 228 - Great stuff NTL.

Gave up after 40mins on hold
Old 10-10-2006, 20:08   #4
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

must be the 20meg users sucking up all the bandwidth
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 20:16   #5
NoelT
Inactive

NoelT is on a distinguished roadNoelT is on a distinguished road

Mine is appalling tonight, even worse than usual.

I've got an engineer calling to replace my CM as it keeps rebooting but even so, the speed is unusable tonight.

I'm in Barry...
NoelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 20:37   #6
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas View Post
must be the 20meg users sucking up all the bandwidth
Nope, thats only Swansea - Cardiff aren't that lucky.

Another reason why Swansea is better than Cardiff
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 13:19   #7
Jay271
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruitcase View Post
Another reason why Swansea is better than Cardiff
Cough, cough, splutter!

Just as bad today. Grrr, I have a new BT line going in soon, so I'll be able to compare both haha
Old 11-10-2006, 16:04   #8
Jay271
Inactive

Finally got through to support, such as it was.

By just asking my postcode, the indian tech guy was able to get my mac address, and tell me that the DHCP client wasn't correct. He made a change and it should all be ok.

Really. Wow. What a guy. In my postcode there are at least 15 other people with broadband through NTL (it's a precabled apartment buidling). But with just that information, he got my MAC address. Never mind that he then got access to my DHCP client by waving his magic fairy wand!

I'm so fed up of the poor service, now coupled with further lies from their support guys - AAAARRGGH!

OK Rant over.
Sigh
Old 11-10-2006, 16:11   #9
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay271 View Post
Finally got through to support, such as it was.

By just asking my postcode, the indian tech guy was able to get my mac address, and tell me that the DHCP client wasn't correct. He made a change and it should all be ok.

Really. Wow. What a guy. In my postcode there are at least 15 other people with broadband through NTL (it's a precabled apartment buidling). But with just that information, he got my MAC address. Never mind that he then got access to my DHCP client by waving his magic fairy wand!

I'm so fed up of the poor service, now coupled with further lies from their support guys - AAAARRGGH!

OK Rant over.
Sigh
If you've called from your ntl phone line don't forget they probably had your telephone number to search on from the caller id on their telephony equipment.
Old 11-10-2006, 21:22   #10
Jay271
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruitcase View Post
If you've called from your ntl phone line don't forget they probably had your telephone number to search on from the caller id on their telephony equipment.
No, it was from work that I called. Since spoke to someone else in the UK, who couldn't believe what I was told - Ah well. She's going to do some checks for me. Finally, someone taking control of the issue...

Now just wait and see what happens
Old 11-10-2006, 23:06   #11
opelfruitcase
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay271 View Post
No, it was from work that I called. Since spoke to someone else in the UK, who couldn't believe what I was told - Ah well. She's going to do some checks for me. Finally, someone taking control of the issue...

Now just wait and see what happens
I'd offer to help myself but unfortunately I wouldn't have the required access to the necessary systems.
Old 11-10-2006, 23:37   #12
da_bomb_3k
Inactive

da_bomb_3k is an unknown quantity at this point

im from barry also and speed tests are showing speeds of about 300kb/s which sux..

i have the really old modem too but i at least normally get speeds of around 900kb/s - 1000kb/s..

NTL want £50 to update me to the latest modem.. anyone know a way around paying this charge?

thanks in advance
da_bomb_3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 00:12   #13
opelfruitcase
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bomb_3k View Post
im from barry also and speed tests are showing speeds of about 300kb/s which sux..

i have the really old modem too but i at least normally get speeds of around 900kb/s - 1000kb/s..

NTL want £50 to update me to the latest modem.. anyone know a way around paying this charge?

thanks in advance
Hi to Cable Forum

If your getting those kind of speeds normally then you really don't need to upgrade your cable modem. The issues your suffering, like the OP (Jay) isn't to do with the cable modem you have but its likely the problems are related. As you live in Barry its very likely your connected to the same ubr as the OP.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:09   #14
NoelT
Inactive

NoelT is on a distinguished roadNoelT is on a distinguished road

Mine was even worse last night, tried to use it for about 20 mins, modem rebooted at least 4 times.

When it did work, I ran the speedtest and was getting anywhere from 500k - 9meg!!! Although the 9meg must have been a 'blip' as I very rarely get the speed I'm supposed to be on!

NTL have agreed to change the modem, what model will they replace it with? I currently have a CM100 I think, a flat silver box??
NoelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:26   #15
da_bomb_3k
Inactive

da_bomb_3k is an unknown quantity at this point

looked into this a bit further an ive noticed that i only ever get the 1000kb/s when using newsgroups..

i never download at anywhere near these speeds when using ANY other service..

spoke to NTL this morning who has said that there is no problems with the Teryon modems (yea whatever) and also ran a few checks on my modem to make sure its working fine which they decided there all in order..

also was told that there is no issues with receiving the full speeds on the teryon modems..

i got no-where when trying to get them to replace the modem an have to call them back tomorrow to run through p.c specific tests (whatever they may be)

just thought id shed some light on the situation

(the engineer i was speaking to also reckoned he had the teryon modem an it sworks to the full 10mb and its even currently getting the 20mb connection on the tests [he lives in swansea])
da_bomb_3k is offline   Reply With Quote